For me, a good cookie involves a lot of chunks (much like a good ice-cream). Every bite has to have a chunk! This is very important. So please, if you’re ever making cookies — any cookies — and don’t feel the recipe has called for enough chocolate chips, chunks, etc., don’t hesitate to add more!
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- 1¼ cups dulce de leche (here's How To Make Dulce De Leche)
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups roughly chopped chocolate-covered pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugars with the butter, vanilla and salt. Once it's nicely blended, add 1 cup of the dulce de leche and mix until smooth. (You will use the remaining ¼ cup to drizzle on top of the cookies when they're done.) Then mix in the egg. Now add the flour and baking soda and mix only until they're incorporated. Fold in the chocolate-covered pretzels.
- Use a 1¼-inch ice-cream scoop or 2 teaspoons to form the batter into balls, placing them on the parchment-covered baking sheets as you go, about 9 to 12 per sheet. They will spread a little.
- Place the baking sheets in the preheated oven and bake until the cookies are solid and only just slightly golden along the edges, about 8 minutes. Let them cook for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then place them on a cooling rack. Repeat this process until you've used all of the batter.
- Once the cookies have cooled, warm the remaining dulce de leche in the microwave for about 10 seconds and use a teaspoon to drizzle it over the cookies.
You can find chocolate -covered pretzels in most markets.
Dessert can be exciting, interesting, and delicious without being fussy. I think cookies are a great, easy dessert to serve at parties or small get-togethers. How about serving some this very weekend at your brunch? What a treat they’ll be after the Smoked Salmon-Asparagus Breakfast Pizza! With a bit of coffee . . . yum!