Spinach Kale Pesto is a spin-off of a classic basil pesto. With ingredients like almonds, tomato kale and spinach, this super delicious, versatile recipe is bursting with nutrients. When I was growing up, my parents grew beautiful basil in their garden. (And they still do.) So naturally, my mom made a ton of beautiful basil pesto. I remember at the end of the basil season she’d make tons of it and freeze it, so we could savor it all year.
It became a tradition to have the pesto on English muffins topped with thick slices of sweet, heirloom tomatoes, which were also from their garden. I call this creation of theirs, Tomato-Red Onion and Pesto Open Faced Sandwich.
This yummy dinner tradition is still a meaningful part of our summers. I love that.Since I so enjoy experimenting with different ingredients, I’ve made many different pesto sauces over the years, and this Spinach Kale Pesto is one is my favorites — next to my mom’s, of course!
Both spinach and kale are so incredibly good for you, as are the almonds, which take the place of the pine nuts you’d find in a classic basil pesto.
Eating these two delicious leafy greens is just like eating a bunch of vitamins! Really, they’re so healthy!
Uses for Spinach Kale Pesto:
- Spread it on toast or your sandwich.
- Serve it with grilled fish, chicken, or steak
- Sauce your pasta with it
- Mix it into your eggs
- Eat it with a spoon — it’s all delicious.
You can make so many different types of pesto. Different greens have different flavors. Some are even on the spicy side, like mustard greens. And it’s the same thing with nuts, they all have their own unique flavors and textures. The possibilities are endless! Try different cheeses too! Whatever inspires you!
Here’s an awesome selection of 25 unique pesto recipes.
Please enjoy both making and eating this Spinach Kale Pesto!
Spinach Kale Pesto Recipe
Spinach Kale Pesto is a spin-off of a classic basil pesto. With ingredients like almonds, tomato kale and spinach, this super delicious, versatile recipe is bursting with nutrients.
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds blanched
- about 1 1/2 dozen large black kale leaves
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves firmly packed
- 6 small to medium garlic cloves peeled with roots removed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To toast the almonds, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spread the nuts out evenly on a baking sheet. When the oven is preheated, place the nuts in the oven and roast them until they are very aromatic and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stay with them, though, because they can go from perfect to burnt quickly! (This is an important step because toasting nuts brings their oils and natural sugars to the surface, greatly enhancing their flavor!)
- Wash and dry the spinach and kale. Remove any tough stems from the kale and break the leaves into smaller pieces.
- In a food processor, make the pesto by blending the spinach and kale with the toasted almonds, garlic, Parmesan, tomato paste, lemon juice and sugar. Then gradually pour in the oil and blend until smooth. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper.
I love a lot of garlic, but you can use as much or little as you'd like. Or you can use roasted garlic for a more mellow, sweeter flavor.
Any variety of kale will work for this recipe, but black kale is my favorite.