So needless to say, this little guy absolutely loves melon — especially Kiss melons, which are super sweet and flavorful!
The Sugar Kiss, Honey Kiss and Golden Kiss melons are all brought to us from Sandstone Melons, “where flavor comes first!” Oh yes it does!
This refreshing and delicious summer soup is a great first course for a dinner party or perfect for a light lunch menu.When I make this on the weekends, my little guy is my sous chef . . . and by sous chef I mean melon scrap eater. 😉 His big brother, by the way, grew these beautiful chives from seed!Enjoy!
- 1 (4½-pound) cubed Kiss melon, about 6 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup finely diced, peeled cucumber
- ¾ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons Yuzu juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
- Sea salt and sugar to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Cut about 1 cup of the melon chunks into a small dice, and in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine them with the cucumber and ¼ cup of the onion. Set aside in the refrigerator to chill.
- Add the melon, water, Yuzu juice, vinegar and jalapeño to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with sea salt and sugar if necessary. Refrigerate the soup until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Stir the melon mixture and divide among 6 soup bowls. Pour the soup into the bowls. Garnish each serving with the chives.
- You can make this as early as the night before. Keep the melon-cucumber mixture separate until you're ready to serve.
Both the Golden Kiss and the Honey Kiss would work for this recipe. (The Sugar Kiss would be too sweet.) And you can also use cantaloupe!
Wondering what Friday Flowers is all about? Check out the Friday Flowers Gallery to find out!