My cast iron skillet is one of the things in my kitchen that I absolutely cannot imagine living (or at least cooking) without! I use it at least once a day — usually a few times. Can one be in love with a skillet? (Well, I am.)
In fact, I even bake bread in my skillet.
This week is all about firing up the flavors of fall. Serve this cornbread with my Roasted Butternut Squash Chili for a cozy gathering of friends or family over the weekend!
You can’t very well serve chili without cornbread. The two simply belong together! And don’t even set a table, just gather round your sofas, eat, talk and enjoy the food!
Dessert will be a delightful bowl of Salted, Spiced Caramel Pumpkin Gelato! That’s right! Coming to you Friday! Yum!
Skillet Jalapeño-Bacon Cornbread Recipe
- 7 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted seeded and peeled jalapeño peppers -- about 6 small peppers (click here to learn how to roast the peppers)
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1-1/2 cups 3 sticks unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the bacon to a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the bacon -- but not the bacon fat -- from the skillet. Set the bacon aside on a plate.
- Add the onion to the bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until they are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the jalapeños and sauté until the mixture is aromatic, about 1 minute. Crumble the bacon and add it to this mixture. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and leave the skillet as it is on the stove.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the cornmeal, baking soda, salt, sugar and cumin. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and lemon juice together. Then stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Add the butter to the skillet and turn the heat to medium. Swirl it around the bottom and sides to melt it into the other ingredients. Once the butter has completely melted, turn the heat off, and very gradually add it to the batter, about 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until it's completely incorporated and fold in the corn kernels.
- Pour the mixture into the hot cast iron skillet and place it in the preheated oven. Bake the bread until the top is nicely browned and it no longer jiggles, about 30 to 35 minutes. If the top becomes brown early on in the cooking process, simply cover it loosely with foil for the remainder of the baking time.
- Let it cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve directly from the skillet.
Recipe NotesIf you want to keep your meal vegetarian, simply omit the bacon and add an additional 1/4 cup butter.
I realize this cornbread recipe is far from fat-free. As far as I am concerned, most things are okay in moderation. And this is so delicious with the super healthy chili recipe!