One of the reasons I love cool, foggy weather is that I feel like I have a free pass to “get cozy” at home. I really love a fire in the fireplace, blankets on the sofa, and — most of all — cooking really delicious comfort foods!
This recipe is, to the best of my memory, much like an amazing, creamy, smooth, flavorful, bowl of polenta I heard about in Italy. Yup, you heard me right, I only heard about it — and it sounded so incredibly wonderful that I had to recreate it!
(Truth be told, I was told about this polenta years ago . . . and I have been fantasizing about it ever since!)
This Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta Recipe is simply perfect underneath my Pumpkin Braised Short Ribs. (Another perfect option is Pommes Anna.) I also love it on its own.
The weekends have been so cozy around here, and they’ve featured comfort foods like this one. I’m ready to get a fire going in the fireplace!
P.S. Don’t get me wrong, I also love a sunny day a the beach, but I’ll get to that in a few months!
Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-3/4 cups polenta coarse cornmeal
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese about 4 ounces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the salt to the stock and bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the half and half, cheese, and butter. Stir to blend and serve immediately!
15 minutes ahead: Make the polenta!
This is one I don’t recommend making too far ahead of time. If you must, you will need about 1 extra cup of stock to soften the mixture just before serving it.