My Perfect Cup of Coffee

I simply love a good cup of coffee. I love the flavor and adore the ritual of it.  Coffee is a big part of my day . . .  and not just because it helps wake me up, either.

What’s your perfect cup of coffee?

Is it at home? At a café?

Is if full of cream? Sugar?  Both?

Is it hot? On ice?

Is it in a ceramic mug?  Or do you fill a thermos with it and take it on-the-go?

I want to know!  Really, I do!

My perfect cup of coffee:

Let’s start with the basics. . . it’s caffeinated.

The coffee beans are high quality, dark roast, and freshly ground.

The coffee is brewed in a French press.

I like it strong. I never measure, but I use roughly 1-1/2 tablespoons coffee grounds per 6-ounces of water.

It’s about 20/80, half and half to coffee.  I never use a spoon.  I pour the half and half in the mug first.  Then I add the hot coffee to the half and half.  The pour mixes it perfectly.  It’s beautiful!

No sugar and never any artificial sweeteners.

It must be very hot!

My perfect cup of coffee comes in a pretty ceramic mug with a fairly thick, smooth lip.  This really makes a difference to me.

It’s not just for breakfast or brunch. My perfect cup of coffee can be from morning through the afternoon.

And while I think I make a mean, super yummy cup of coffee, sometimes my perfect cup is while I’m out and about.  Ideally with a good friend, on their sofa, chatting.

Coffee is also lovely while sitting on an outside deck with a pretty view on a cool day.  Oh, and while I’m drinking it, I’m wearing a super warm, soft sweater.   Just like the commercial.  You’ve seen that one, right?

One more thing, my perfect cup of coffee is accompanied by a cookie. Granola Chocolate Chip or Cafe´Con Leche Chocolate Chunk!

To make coffee in a French press:

• Preheat your press by filling it with very hot water.
  • Grind your coffee beans.  They should be ground medium to coarse.
  • Pour out the hot water from the press.
  • Add the ground beans.
  • Fill the press to the desired level with almost boiling water. (Bring your water to a boil in a kettle, then let it sit for a minute or so.)
  • Gently stir.
  • Cover with the lid, but do not press yet.
  • Press after waiting about 4 minutes.
  • It’s ready!

Comments

1. says

I have to have a cup of strong, unsweetened Turkish coffee in the morning to wake up. But I take my American coffee the same way you do, half&half, no sugar, no sweeteners, in a beautiful mug (I have a few my oldest daughter brought from her trips, and a few my younger two made for me:)
    Now I’ll have to make a pot after we return from our morning walk (unfortunately, we don’t have French press – it will arrive once we move:)
    Love your photos!

2. K says

I prefer my coffee black and strong with 2 sugars and no cream. My favorite way of making it is with the stovetop espresso maker!

3. Donna says

My favorite cup of coffee is after my three-mile walk outside every morning! It must be very hot, strong and good quality coffee, a little half and half, no sugar or sweeteners and must be in a nice heavy mug! And, tomorrow morning, I am going to try putting the half and half in my mug first and then pour the coffee in; never heard of doing that, Valentina, but can’t wait to try it and see if it makes a difference; improvements are always welcome; thanks!

4. Neil says

Valentina, my wife knows her breads, but I know my coffee. I also like it strong, and yours looks wonderful. I go the espresso route and use a Pasquini espresso machine. I steam 2 % milk and get the bubbles as small as I can. I use Danessi Dopio beans which I find to be the richest taste for me. I usually use a double basket/ cup which makes the late nice and strong.

5. Stefani says

I love a good doppio espresso, straight up, first thing in the morning (Illy is among my faves). Otherwise, I take my coffee with milk and a sprinkle of sugar.

6. valentina says

I am so enjoying hearing about everyone’s perfect cup of coffee! Thank you all!
    Stove top espresso makers, Pasquini machines, nice heavy mugs . . . I love all of it!!!

7. says

I’m with you all the way when it comes to coffee. Once I had my first sip of coffee made with a French press, life changed. The sky was brighter, the sun was warmer…okay, may that’s a slight exaggeration (very slight).
    And spoons kind of ruin all the fun of watching the cream clouds naturally disperse.
    Now I’m craving coffee..and a cookie! :-D