My sons are in a Lego phase.
My husband’s in a rowing phase.
And, my friends, I am in a Cannellini bean phase. I know, it’s sort of funny. The rowing, that is. 😉
I’m really having fun experimenting with these super delicious beans.
Cooking dried beans is the perfect weekend cooking project! Cook a ton of them and then you’ll have them at the ready for all sorts of recipes! I love that.
First up: Cannellini Bean-Tuna Salad with Lemon Caper Balsamic Vinaigrette.
I hope you’ll come along with me during my currently, slightly offbeat phase — and make some scrumptious, satisfying food perfect for this season!
- 2 cups cooked Cannellini beans
- 1 (7-ounce) can solid white tuna in water, well drained
- ½ cup roughly chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup packed, roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup roughly chopped roasted Piquillo peppers
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup capers
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, tuna, basil, spinach, peppers, onion and capers.
- In a small bowl, use a whisk to blend the oil with the vinegar and lemon juice.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the bean mixture and season the salad generously to taste with salt and pepper.
Yes, it’s true, I’m okay with canned tuna!
Up to 6 hours and at least 15 minutes ahead: combine everything except the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
At serving time: Add the dressing to the salad.
Like most salads, this is best when prepared as close to serving time as possible.