If you haven’t already treated yourself to a delicious grilled cheese sandwich this month, you’ve still got a couple of weeks to do so. And you must! April is National Grilled Cheese Month, after all!
This recipe is an indulgent combination of gorgonzola, caramelized onion, and applewood smoked bacon. And the tomatoes and fresh basil leaves add a burst of fresh, vibrant color and taste!
Over the weekend I made many of these insanely yummy sandwiches, cut them into fourths, and served them as appetizers at a baby shower I hosted. They were a big hit, and the guest of honor called them a “flavor explosion!” I love it!
Oh, and here’s what I served for dessert . . . .
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- Unsalted butter for the pan
- A couple tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- A couple tablespoons caramelized onions (here's How To Make Caramelized Onions)
- 1 strip applewood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 large basil leaves
- About 4 slices of a small tomato
- A couple tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese
- Add a dab of butter to a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it's melted, swirl the pan around to ensure it's well coated.
- Add one of the bread slices to the buttered pan. In the following order, add the ingredients to the bread: gorgonzola, caramelized onion, bacon, basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella.
- Now place the second slice of bread on top. Use a flat-bottomed, metal spatula to press down on the sandwich to adhere the ingredients together. Use the spatula to lift the sandwich in the air for a moment (or place it on a plate, if that's easier), and add another dab of butter into the pan. Then flip the sandwich, and return it to the pan. Use the spatula once again to press the sandwich down, and once the bottom is browned, and all the cheese is melted, it's done.
Gluten-free? Use your favorite GF bread!
Vegan? Sorry -- you need the cheese!
These sandwiches are at their best when served right out of the pan!