I have to admit that sometimes I’m disappointed when someone doesn’t like an ingredient that I find delicious.
I remember someone I met who didn’t like coffee, chocolate, or peanut butter. I mean, seriously?! How could that person be trusted?! (And it turned out, he couldn’t be!)
On the other hand, my good friend Ed — who is trustworthy –says he loves just about all ingredients except “small salty fish,” as he calls them. This one I sort of understand — I mean, salty fish aren’t for everybody. (Unlike chocolate!!) However, I’m thinking this super flavorful, unbelievably tasty salad will change Ed’s mind.
Just so you know, I don’t like okra. Not one bit! Are there any foods you really don’t like? Tell me below in a comment. I won’t think less of you, I promise!
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ cup drained anchovy fillets (save the juice)
- 2 teaspoons anchovy juice
- ⅔ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Super thin lemon slices from about ½ of a medium-sized lemon, skin on
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your outdoor barbecue or stove-top grill over high heat
- Cut the washed and dried lettuce into quarters, lengthwise, and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle the four quarters equally with the olive oil and season fairly generously with coarse sea salt and several turns of black pepper.
- Place the lettuce on the preheated grill, oiled and seasoned side down. You should hear a sizzling sound when it hits the grill. If you don't, it's not hot enough -- wait for the sizzle! Grill the lettuce just long enough to get beautiful grill marks on all of the flat sides, about 2 minutes.
- Use metal tongs to return the lettuce back to the baking sheet. Then, once cooled, place them on a cutting board and roughly chop it into bite-sized pieces, discarding the root ends.
- Put the grilled lettuce in a serving bowl and add the lemon juice, anchovies, anchovy juice Parmesan, and lemon slices.
- Taste the salad and then decide if you need any more salt. You probably won't, since the anchovies and Parmesan both add a certain saltiness.
- Serve the salad right away -- with a pepper mill!