For as long as I can remember, my parents have abstained from eating tomatoes unless it’s summer.
“Oh, we’d never buy a tomato in the market,” my dad says, year after year.
“We wait for dad’s tomatoes — they’re the best,” my mom always adds.
My dad starts his summer tomato crop from seed — in little, tiny containers that sit on a tray on an antique stove until they’re ready for planting. He transplants these beautiful baby plants to the ground, variety by variety — each with great care.
My mom makes the pesto with their homegrown basil, while my dad picks the tomatoes. (I love it! No wonder they’ve been married for 48 years!)
How could I grown up in this environment, and not love whole, organic, fresh foods?!
Stay tuned for Summer Tomato Gazpacho, coming to you Friday!
- 1 English muffin sliced in half and toasted
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite pesto my favorites: Spinach Kale Pesto and Lemon-Caper Pesto
- 4 very thin slices red onion
- 4 slices of a large garden tomato about 1/4-inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the pesto on each half of the toasted English muffin.
- Layer 2 slices of red onion and 2 slices of tomato on top of the pesto, on each one.
- Drizzle the top with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea alt and freshly ground black pepper.