Raspberry-Beet Valentine’s Day Cupcake Recipe {Gluten-Free}

by valentina on February 1, 2013

Post image for Raspberry-Beet Valentine’s Day Cupcake Recipe  {Gluten-Free}

Chocolate, raspberries, beets, buttercream, hearts, love and red. . . . these are a few of my favorite things.

And guess what?  They’re all blended together in this super cute, delicious Valentine’s Day treat!

Did you roast your beetsMake your Buttercream?  Is it all making sense now?

These are the most brilliant, beautiful ingredients ever!  And the pretty fuchsia color becomes a vibrant red inside the cupcake after it’s baked!

It’s so easy to make these awesome heart shaped cupcakes.  Fortunately, I have two young boys who leave marbles all over the house — if that’s not the case for you, you can roll up bits of foil about the size of small marbles to do the same trick.

So spread some love around this Valentine’s Day — and everyday — with these Raspberry-Beet Valentine’s Day Cupcakes.  And if red isn’t your thing, there’s nobody who doesn’t love my Valentine’s Day Nutella Brownies Full of Heart.

Notice all of my Valentine’s Day treats are gluten-free?  With two gluten-free boys in my house, how could they not be?

Raspberry-Beet Valentine’s Day Cupcakes {Gluten-Free}

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Yield: Makes 2 dozen

2-1/4 cups (about 2 very large beets) roasted, peeled, roughly chopped beets (here's how to roast beets)

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup fresh raspberries

1/4 cup Greek style, plain yogurt

1 tablespoon vanilla

1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

1-1/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 large egg

1/2 cup grape seed oil

1-3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour

1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon cacao powder

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup semisweet, mini chocolate chips

2 cups Buttercream (here's the 5-minute recipe for Buttercream)

Sprinkles

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 (1 dozen) muffin pans with paper cups. (To make heart shapes, you can use a marble, or a crumbled piece of foil, to place between the outside of the paper cup and the inside of each circle. (See above images.) Set aside.
  2. In a blender, purée the roasted beets with the buttermilk and fresh raspberries. Blend until it's as smooth as possible, about 1 minute on high.
  3. Pour the raspberry beet mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in the yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
  4. Use a large fork to blend in the egg.
  5. Then, stirring constantly, gradually add the oil and mix until blended.
  6. Now sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. (You can just place a large mesh strainer above the bowl to sift.) Mix just until it's blended.
  7. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
  8. Use an ice cream scoop (or large spoon), to fill each paper cup about 3/4 the way up.
  9. Place the muffin pans on baking sheets and bake in the preheated 350 degree F oven until the cupcakes are set and slightly cracked on top, 20 to 25 minutes.
  10. Let the cupcakes cool completely and then spread a thin layer of the Buttercream on top and sprinkle with colored sprinkles (if desired).

Notes

Please note that the prep time does not include roasting the beets or making the Buttercream. (Combined, these two stteps take about 1 hour, 5 minutes.)

Pia February 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Yum! I HAVE been waiting for this recipe all week! Can I substitute any other oil for the grape seed? I don’t have any on hand…

valentina February 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Hi Pia! Yes, you can use vegetable or canola oil, too. Enjoy and have a great weekend! :-)

Pia February 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Thank you!!! These were amazing!!!

valentina February 6, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Pia – I’m thrilled you liked these! I love that the color is totally natural (& delicious). Happy early Valentine’s Day to you! :-)

Deb February 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm

The combination of raspberries a with the beets is outstanding! The lovely heart cupcakes are a perfect start to February!

Colette February 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Clever, clever, clever….

Judy at Two Broads Abroad February 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Very clever. I was waiting to see this. Nicely done.

valentina February 10, 2013 at 1:12 am

Thanks, Judy! xo

Jeremy February 7, 2013 at 6:57 pm

As I always say the way to anyone’s heart is via their stomach. :) These cupcakes actually reminded me of the gift I’m gonna give to my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. I’ve made a private booking for one of the courses organized by Zac’s cooking school here in Vancouver – cooking classes for couples and this recipe will most certainly be among the first ones we’ll try together. So it fits in perfectly with my romantic plans. :)

valentina February 10, 2013 at 1:12 am

Jeremy, sounds like an awesome gift! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Oxana Miron February 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hello Valentina,
I need your help =)
First of all, thank you for sharing this amazing recipe! I have never made cupcakes before, and decided to make some for this valentines. I found your recipe the most interesting and healthy.
I followed the recipe, except I used 1/2 of truvia (the package says use 1/2 for a cup of sugar) and 1/4 of brown sugar instead of 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar as your recipe suggested… and maybe this messed everything up…
So, the dough come out a little thin, and I added some more flour. Not too much though.
The cupcakes didn’t rise at all. And it took me at least 40 minute until they cooked through (I used toothpick to check). They came out tasty, but not puffy or spongy at all. And they stuck to paper cups. While the outside was a little overcooked (it got crispy), the inside was still a little undercooked, but overall they were eatable.
What do you think was my mistake?
I used a hand mixer to mix the dough. Also, I added soda before flour…
I still have the mix left. Is it possible to make any adjustments to it to make cupcakes rise?
Also, what should I do next time to avoid this?
THANKS so much!!!!

valentina February 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Hi Oxana, thanks for writing in about this . . . the only thing I can think of is that using Truvia may have changed the batter. Having never baked with it myself, I’m not sure, but since it seems to the only thing you changed, it’s my best guess. Did you use both the baking soda and baking powder? As for the crispy outside and sticking to the cups, that may have been because they baked for an extended period of time. I’m not sure using the remaining batter is a good idea since you didn’t have success with it — I’d start fresh. I wish I could bake them with you to see we solve the problem. Please keep me posted! :-) Thank you for your interest in my recipes!