When I go to a breakfast or brunch in someone’s home, I expect coffee will be served. And if it’s not, I regret that I haven’t snuck in my coffee thermos from the car, to sip discretely while others drink their mimosas.
My rule, if you will, is that if it’s before noon, there should be coffee. And frankly, if it’s an exceptionally cool day, coffee should be offered at an afternoon gathering as well.
And when it’s a hot day, that’s not an excuse for not serving coffee — after all, iced coffee is delicious! Especially when blended with creamy coffee ice cream and chocolate! And if you want to compete with the mimosas, how about adding a splash of Kahlua?
So if you ever invite me over before noon, or on a cool afternoon, why yes, I’d love a cup of coffee! And if you aren’t serving any, just give me a nudge that I won’t offend you if I go get my thermos from the car.
On another note . . . it’s Friday Flowers! These beauties, Purple-Flowered Rock Roses, are popping up everywhere right now. Bright and cheerful, their colors are warm and comforting — like a cup of coffee. 😉
Wondering what Friday Flowers is? Click here to find out.
P.S. Please know that I completely understand that coffee might not be as important to others, as it is to me. I won’t fault you for not serving it — but know if you come to my house, you can expect it. 🙂
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/4 cup coffee frozen yogurt or ice cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Splash of Kahlua (if desired)
- A bit of finely grated semisweet chocolate for garnish
- Add all of the ingredients to a standing blender, beginning with the coffee.
- Blend on high until everything is incorporated and the drink is a relatively smooth consistency.
- Serve! (Use a fine grater to grate a bit of chocolate on top of each serving.)