Remember the fantastic Organic Mixed Fruit Box from Melissa’s, that was waiting for me at my door a few weeks ago?
Oh my! Delicious!
Incredible to have with a scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream on top.
And perfect to throw in a salad.
- 1 large Ruby Red Grapefruit
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- leaves from 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Cut the grapefruit in half horizontally, and then cut each half into about six even wedges.
- Place the grapefruit, a few inches apart, on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Turn on the broiler and place the rack/shelf as close as you can to the flame, with enough room for the grapefruit to be at least a couple inches below it.
- Add the honey, water, thyme and ginger to a small saucepan, and place it over medium-high heat. Cook only until it's a thinner, evenly combined mixture, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon about half of the honey mixture over the grapefruit wedges, and place the backing sheet under the broiler. Broil only until they are beginning to char and are sizzling a bit.
- Then flip each slice of grapefruit over and spoon the remaining honey mixture on top. Return the baking sheet under the broiler until it looks like the other side. (Each side will only take a couple of minutes, so keep a close eye on them!)
You can also make this as two larger portions by leaving it in two halves, ([like this|
http://cookingontheweekends.com/2012/02/minty-grapefruit-brulee/]), and then dividing the sauce between them.