You see, as I was cooking the black quinoa, I spotted my big bowl ripe plums out of the corner of my eye. I thought their bright reddish color would look so pretty against the beautifully textured, black quinoa. Then I imagined how lovely the soft green color of an avocado would would look against the red and black. And I knew the purple curves of the onion would be dazzling.
A bit of lettuce for depth (and good measure ;-)), plus the flavor and color from Meyer lemons to balance everything, and voilà — a gorgeous (and delicious) painting!Enjoy!
- Zest of 1 medium to large Meyer Lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups cooked black quinoa
- 4 medium-sized plums, washed, dried, and cut into about 8 wedges each
- 1 ripe but firm medium-sized avocado, sliced and then cut into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup packed mixed baby greens
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, juice, honey, salt and mustard. Gradually add the oil, whisking all the while. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the quinoa, plums, avocado, onion and greens.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss to combine and crack pepper on top and serve.
I love the look of the black quinoa, but you can use any color. And likewise, Meyer lemons are my preference, but any lemon will still be delicious.
Please note that the prep time does not include cooking the quinoa.