I hadn’t made waffles for a couple of years.
You see, our waffle maker creates an impression of Winnie the Pooh or Tigger. Take your pick. My boys thought this was pretty cool until they were about five and seven-years-old. They declared it “for babies.”
They’re now seven and nine-years-old, and recently requested waffles again — more sophisticated waffles, that is.
I love any excuse to roam around a cooking store, so off I went for a new “grown-up” waffle maker.
They grow up so fast.
- 1-1/2 cups mashed, overripe bananas (about 2 small bananas)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup grape seed oil
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (I like Bob's Red Mill and Trader Joe's also a great one.)
- 1 tablespoon, plus ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, blend the banana with the oil, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix in the eggs and use a fork to be sure they are completely blended into the batter.
- Add the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum and mix only until everything is fully incorporated.
- Use your waffle iron according to the manufacturers instructions. (For mine, I used about ⅓ cup of batter per waffle.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and adjust a rack to the center.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter with the honey, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the almonds and stir to be sure they are all well coated.
- Spread the coated almonds out in a single layer on a baking sheet -- they will be sticky.
- Place them in the preheated 375 degree F oven, just until they are golden brown and bubbling a bit, about 4 minutes.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet and then break them apart with your hands. (You might need a metal spatula to get some of them off the baking sheet.)
- Top your waffles with the almonds and a touch of syrup.
And don’t forget . . . there are only 4 more days to enter my “Share The Love” Cooking Giveaway. I have 10 super awesome foodie prizes to give you — including a Le Creuset grill, Whole Foods an Bob’s Red Mill gift cards, Kerrygold cheeses and butters, and more! Enter HERE.