I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again — if you haven’t tried a Kiss melon, you must!
Last year I wrote a dozen Kiss melon recipes, and this year I’m writing a whopping four and a half dozen recipes for Sandstone, using four varieties of Kiss Melons. I’m really excited to share them with you — however, that’s not going to be right away, so I had to create a Kiss melon recipe just for you. Today!
Now, there’s a grilled cheese, and then there’s a Sugar Kiss Melon and Chorizo-Manchego Grilled Cheese. The spices in the chorizo, the warm, melting Manchego and peppery arugula, combined with the sweet, juicy melon is a flavor explosion like no other. I know you will love it!
Oh, and among other fantastic foodie prizes, you can win a box of Kiss melons in my “Share The Love” Cooking Giveaway. Enter the giveaway here.
And if you can’t wait, you can find them at a store near you here.
- About 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 slices of your favorite, plain sandwich bread (large, but not thick slices)
- ½ cup Manchego cheese, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 4 large, thin slices of cured chorizo
- About 5 (1/4-inch thick) slices of Sugar Kiss Melon, cut to fit the width of the bread
- ½ cup loosely packed arugula, washed and dried
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Place a medium-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Spread half of the butter on one side of each slice of bread, and once the pan it hot, add them, buttered side down.
- In the following order, add the ingredients to one of the slices of bread in the pan: half of the Manchego, a super light dusting of cayenne pepper, chorizo, melon, arugula, and finally, the remaining half of the Manchego. Once the other slice of bread has become golden brown on the bottom, place it on top, golden side up.
- Use a flat-bottomed metal spatula to firmly press down on the sandwich, turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid or foil until the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes or so.