I’m in the process of trying to recreate the amazing fish tacos I had at the Hale I’A Fish House in Kawaihae, Hawaii.
This cabbage is subtly sweet and it adds the perfect crunch to anything it’s served with. It’s even great on it’s own as a side dish — I especially love it with grilled meats.
Just wait until we make the tacos. Get ready by starting the cabbage now.
Quick Spicy Pickled Cabbage Recipe
- ¾ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1½ tablespoons chili paste
- 5 small crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage about 1/2 large head of cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and place it over low heat. Warm it just long enough to dissolve the sugar, and pour it into a large non-reactive mixing bowl. This should take about 1 minute. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Add the chili paste, Tamari and garlic. Stir to blend.
- Mix in the cabbage and onion, being sure that it's all well coated with the vinegar mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (The flavor will become more intense the longer it sits -- it will be delicious for days!)