I’m in the process of trying to recreate the amazing fish tacos I had at the Hale I’A Fish House in Kawaihae, Hawaii. I’m certain that it’s this pickled cabbage combined with the spices on the fish, that make the taco a truly magical experience.
(This is also fantastic on burgers, grilled meat or as a small side dish.)
Enjoy and stay tuned to see the rest of the brilliant taco come together.
- ¾ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1½ tablespoons chili paste
- 5 small crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about ½ large head of cabbage)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and place it over low heat. Warm it just long enough to dissolve the sugar, and pour it into a large non-reactive mixing bowl. This should take about 1 minute. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Add the chili paste, Tamari and garlic. Stir to blend.
- Mix in the cabbage and onion, being sure that it's all well coated with the vinegar mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (The flavor will become more intense the longer it sits -- it will be delicious for days!)