You can taste the heat from the Pepper Jack cheese, you can taste earthiness from the cumin and chili powder, and you can taste the zing from limes — I mean, really taste each and every ingredient.
Interestingly, these “tacos” are light and refreshing, while still being quite hearty and bold. It’s a beautiful thing when this happens.
Pepper Jack Turkey-Pickled Onion Lettuce Tacos
- 1/3 cup very thinly sliced red onions
- juice of 1 small lime
- olive oil for the pan
- 1- pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- about 6 sprigs cilantro washed and dried
- 12 thin slices avocado from about 1/2 of a large avocado
- 6 large Butter lettuce leaves washed and dried
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
- Add the onions to a small glass bowl and pour the lime juice over them. Let them marinate for at least 30 minutes and ideally overnight. (The longer the better -- even a couple of days is great!)
- Coat the bottom of a large sauté pan with olive oil and place it over medium heat. Add the turkey and break it up into bite-sized pieces. Stir in the garlic and sprinkle it with the cumin, salt, chili powder, and onion powder. Mix to blend and sauté just until it's cooked through, about 6 minutes. Set it aside to cool.
- Once the turkey mixture has cooled to room temperature, add the cheese to it, and mix to blend.
- Now divide the tomatoes evenly between them.
- Drain the onions and save all of the excess juice. Distribute the onions over the tomatoes and then drizzle the leftover juice over all of the tacos.