Sometimes I spend hours, sometimes minutes, and sometimes just seconds.
This one came to me almost instantly for a few reasons:
- I was famished.
- I had a craving for red grapes and brie the other day, so I had them on hand.
- My dad had just given me a big bag of freshly picked basil.
- I had half of a baguette leftover from an insanely delicious Spanish breakfast.
- Somehow I had not yet eaten all of the strawberries I’d bought two days ago!
- And finally, I realized with my boys back in school, I had the time to make myself a proper lunch. (One I might actually sit down to eat!)
This is an incredibly tasty, summer-fresh, grilled cheese sandwich! I’m adding this to my weekend recipes, for sure! You might want to as well — friends and family will love it!
P. S. Is “lemony” even a word?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus a bit more for grilling
- 1/3 cup loosely packed roughly chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- About 3 ounces thinly sliced brie cheese
- 1/3 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
In a small sauté pan, mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the basil, lemon juice, and salt. Place it over medium heat and cook for about 1 minute, just until it begins to sizzle. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
Preheat a stove-top grill and drizzle a bit of olive oil on both slices of bread.
Place the bread on the grill, oiled side down. As soon as it's beginning to brown, flip it over and spoon half of the basil mixture on each slice of bread. Immediately add the brie slices on top of each one, turn the heat to low, and cook just until the brie is melted.
Use a metal spatula to move both prepared slices of bread to a plate. Add the strawberries and grapes on one of the halves and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
Place the other half on top and gently press it down.