Caprese Grilled Cheese with Bacon is one delicious layer after another — all combined into one amazing sandwich!
If you haven’t already treated yourself to a delicious grilled cheese sandwich this month, you’ve still got a couple of weeks to do so. And you must!
April is National Grilled Cheese Month. That’s all the inspiration I need to make any grilled cheese sandwich, let alone one of the very best.
What’s in this recipe?
Well clearly the title gives most of it away: bacon, basil and tomato.
This recipe is also an indulgent combination of Gorgonzola and Mozzarella cheese with caramelized onions. Imagine that deliciousness mixed with applewood smoked bacon!
The tomatoes and fresh basil leaves add a burst of fresh, vibrant color and taste.
Over the weekend I made many of these insanely yummy sandwiches, cut them into fourths, and served them as appetizers at a baby shower I hosted.
They were a big hit, and the guest of honor called them a “flavor explosion.”
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
As I mentioned, I served these beauties as appetizers. You can make any size grilled cheese sandwich and cut it into small rectangles or triangles.
On the flip side, you can make big sandwiches for lunch or dinner. Add a salad and you’ve got one delicious meal!
If you don’t like blue cheese, including Gorgonzola or Mozzarella, you can use any other cheese you love. Here are a few ideas:
Vegetarian? Feel free to skip the bacon.
Gluten-free? Use your favorite GF bread!
Alterations or not, I hope you love this Caprese Grilled Cheese with Bacon!
More mouth-watering grilled cheese recipes:
Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese with Bacon
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- unsalted butter for the pan
- 2 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons caramelized onions (click here for How to Make Caramelized Onions)
- 1 strip applewood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 large basil leaves, washed and dried
- 4 slices small tomato
- 2 tablespoons Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Add a dab of butter to a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it's melted, swirl the pan around to ensure it's well coated.
- Add one of the bread slices to the buttered pan. In the following order, add the ingredients to the bread: gorgonzola, caramelized onion, bacon, basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella.
- Place the second slice of bread on top. Use a flat-bottomed, metal spatula to press down on the sandwich to adhere the ingredients together. Use the spatula to lift the sandwich in the air for a moment (or place it on a plate, if that's easier), and add another dab of butter into the pan. Then flip the sandwich, and return it to the pan. Use the spatula once again to press the sandwich down, and once the bottom is browned, and all the cheese is melted, it's done.