Spicy and refreshing all at once, this beautiful Cajun Shrimp Recipe with Citrus Cucumber Salsa is a show-stopping first course for your next dinner party!Have you ever bitten into something and you absolutely, positively couldn’t help but moan a little?
You already know about my obsession with Cara Cara’s, so you won’t be surprised when I tell you this recipe evolved from there. (If you don’t know about this current citrus obsession of mine, you can read about it here.)
What are Cajun Spices?
- Much like a chai spice blend, there are dozens and dozens of different Cajun spice blends you can buy or make at home. They are all a bit different from one another — some might contain all of the spices ever found in a blend, while others might only have a few. And of course, there are all sorts of combinations in between.
- The blends are usually made from common spices your might already have in your pantry.
- Typically Cajun spice blends consist of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
You might want to eat this dish in private. (You know, the moaning thing.) 😉
Cajun spices are not only fabulous in my Cajun Shrimp Recipe, but you can also use them on chicken, meat, all sorts of other sea foods, grilled vegetables, and the list goes on.
And you should have fun — you can experiment with different combinations of the spices listed above to find your own perfect blend.
Super sweet and juicy bites of citrus, with tiny crunchy bites of fresh cucumber, onion and spice — all strewn over spicy-hot, succulent, tender shrimp.
The Citrus Cucumber Salsa is quick and easy to make, and it is definitely the necessary finishing touch on this dish.
- It’s adds bright, fresh flavor.
- It’s a cooling blend of ingredients, which is the perfect balance to the heat from the spices.
- The salsa also adds beautiful color the plate, which makes the dish so pretty. This presentation will, without question, wow your guests! Not that you can’t make it for yourself, or your family without guests. 😉
Any which way, I hope you enjoy this delicious spiced Cajun Shrimp recipe with its lovely Citrus Cucumber Salsa.
- 1/2 cup oranges (I used Cara Caras), finely chopped (see instruction no. 1)
- ¼ cup white onion, super finely chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber, super finely chopped (use portions without seeds only)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red or green jalapeño pepper super finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Peel the oranges as if you're going to cut them into supremes. (Here's how.) Then cut them into very thin slices and cut those into a super fine dice, and add them to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Now add the onion, cucumber and jalapeño pepper.
Mix to blend and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Here's How to Season to Taste.) Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix all of the spices and the salt together. Once they're blended evenly, pour the mixture on a large plate. Gently shake the plate to evenly spread the spices out.
Gently press each shrimp into the spice mixture, coating both sides evenly.
Place them on a clean plate as you go.
Coat the bottom of a large sauté pan with the oil. Once the pan is very hot, add the shrimp, with ample space between them. Sauté the shrimp just until they're cooked through, about a minute per side.
Arrange about 5 shrimp per serving plate, and then spoon the salsa over and around them.