This is such a hearty and healthy main course salad or side dish!My sons are in a Lego phase.
My husband’s in a rowing phase.
And, my friends, I am in a Cannellini bean phase. I know, it’s sort of funny. The rowing, that is. 😉
I’m really having fun experimenting with these super delicious beans.
Cooking dried beans is the perfect weekend cooking project! Cook a ton of them and then you’ll have them at the ready for all sorts of recipes! I love that.
First up: Cannellini Bean-Tuna Salad with Lemon Caper Balsamic Vinaigrette.
I hope you’ll come along with me during my currently, slightly offbeat phase — and make some scrumptious, satisfying food perfect for this season!
- 2 cups cooked Cannellini beans
- 1 7-ounce can solid white tuna in water, well drained
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup packed roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup roughly chopped roasted Piquillo peppers
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, tuna, basil, spinach, peppers, onion and capers.
In a small bowl, use a whisk to blend the oil with the vinegar and lemon juice.
Pour the vinaigrette over the bean mixture and season the salad generously to taste with salt and pepper.
Yes, it’s true, I’m okay with canned tuna!
Up to 6 hours and at least 15 minutes ahead: combine everything except the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
At serving time: Add the dressing to the salad.
Like most salads, this is best when prepared as close to serving time as possible.