This Melon Gazpacho recipe is a delicious and refreshing way to celebrate summer fruit. Made with Kiss melons, it’s sweet, tangy and perfect for lunch or dinner on a warm or hot day.
We love summer melons — especially Kiss melons, which are unbelievably sweet and flavorful.
In fact they are likely the sweetest melon I’ve ever tasted, and are therefore lovely for this Melon Gazpacho recipe.
While I adore a melon in its pure form, I also love creating recipes with them. Here are dozens I’ve written for Savor Fresh Farms, the growers of Kiss melons.
Melons are truly a treat, and they’re an unexpected in a cold soup.
What’s in this Melon Gazpacho recipe?
- red onion
- yuzu juice
- red wine vinegar
- jalapeño peppers
- salt, sugar
Recipe Tips and Substitutions for Melon Gazpacho
- This soup isn’t as good at room temperature and should therefore be thoroughly chilled before serving.
- While I’m a huge fan of the Sugar Kiss melon, you can also use most other melon varieties. Cantaloupe, Honeydew and any of the Kiss melons (Honey, Summer, Golden) will work well.
- If you prefer a slightly more mild onion, shallots can be used instead of the red onion.
- I love the combination of the smooth soup with finely diced fruit and vegetables. You can however, blend all of the ingredients for a completely smooth consistency.
- You can make this up to one day ahead of time, though the chopped ingredients should not be mixed with blended ingredients until you’re ready to serve.
- Not in the mood for soup? Finely chop all of the ingredients, mix them together, and call it salsa.
This melon gazpacho recipe would be a great first course or entrée at a summertime dinner party. And I served it for a light lunch for a few friends of a hot day and everyone loved it!
More recipes using melon:
- Balsamic Glazed Fresh Melon Cake
- Melon Prosciutto Salad
- Shaved Melon Avocado Salad
- Melon Chorizo and Manchego Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Enjoy every last spoonful of this fruity Melon Gazpacho recipe!
This Melon Gazpacho recipe is a delicious and refreshing way to celebrate summer fruit. Made with Kiss melons, it's sweet, tangy and perfect for lunch or dinner on a warm or hot day.
- 1 approximately 4½-pound (6 cups) Kiss melon, cubed, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, finely diced
- ¾ cup red onion, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons Yuzu juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup jalapeño pepper, washed and dried, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- salt and sugar to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, washed and dried, roughly chopped
Cut about 1 cup of the melon chunks into a small dice, and in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine them with the cucumber and ¼ cup of the onion. Set aside in the refrigerator to chill.
Add the remaining melon, remaining onion, water, Yuzu juice, vinegar and jalapeño to a blender. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and sugar if necessary. (Here's How to Season to Taste.) Refrigerate the soup until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
Stir the finely chopped melon-cucumber-onion mixture and divide it among 6 bowls. Pour the blended melon mixture into each bowl and garnish with the chives.
You can make this as early as the night before. Keep the melon-cucumber mixture separate until you're ready to serve.