Beet Kale Sprout Salad with Mandarins is made with kale sprouts, also known as Lollipop Kale or Lollipop Sprouts. This dish is as delicious as it is pretty!
I was so happy when Melissa’s Produce sent a package of kale sprouts to taste and recipe test with.
I was inspired by the green and purple colors in the leaves, to make a beautiful composed salad, with other bright colors.
The result is a super delicious salad that’s gorgeous to look at.
What are kale sprouts and what do they taste like?
Grown in California, they’re a cross between Russian Red Kale and Brussels Sprouts.
Kale Sprouts look like a tiny head of kale . . . until you slice them in half, at which point they resemble a brussels sprout.
Kale sprouts have tender leaves with a sweet and peppery flavor.
Like larger varieties of kale, you can find these sprouts more or less year round.
How to Cook Kale Sprouts
While their unique flavor is tasty raw, my favorite way to eat them is roasted in a very hot oven for a few minutes, sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper.
They can also be sautéed or steamed.
What’s in this recipe?
- kale sprouts
- extra virgin olive oil
- manderine oranges
- blue cheese
- Pickled Beets
- Spiced Caramelized Pecans
You might say this is a Melissa’s Produce party on a plate. 😉
I also love the sprouts with Roasted Garlic and Parmesan.
- If you can’t get Mandarin oranges, you another variety you love.
- Using Pickled Beets and the Sweet Spiced Caramelized Pecans will add a ton of interesting and delicious flavors to the salad — however, if you need to save time, you can use cooked beets that are not pickled, and plain pecans.
I hope you enjoy this Kale Sprout Salad with Beets as much as my family and I do!
*This is not a sponsored post. As always, all opinions are my own — Melissa’s Produce has wonderful products that I love to promote.*
Beet Kale Sprout Salad with Mandarins is made with kale sprouts, which are a unique and beautiful vegetable. This dish is as delicious as it is pretty!
- 6 ounces Kale Sprouts
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Pickled Beets (click here for the recipe)
- 4 Mandarin oranges, peeled and sliced horizontally into ¼-inch rounds, and then in half
- 3 tablespoons Mandarin orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup Sweet Spiced Caramelized Pecans (click here for the recipe)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Trim any tough bottoms off the stems of the kale sprouts. Then slice any larger ones in half, lengthwise.
Place all of the kale sprouts on a baking sheet and toss them with the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Roast them in the preheated 425°F oven until they are sizzling, about 4 minutes. Set them aside to cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing or serving bowl, gently combine the roasted kale sprouts with the pickled beets and oranges. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice with the extra virgin olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Just before you're ready to serve, toss the salad with the dressing, blue cheese, and pecans.