This Melon Salad with Avocado Oil Dressing is every bit as tasty as it is pretty. Its delicate flavors blend perfectly together with avocado oil to form a scrumptious, light and healthy dish!
In the La Tourangelle brochure, it says: "La Tourangelle artisan nut oils are handcrafted in our California mill in the spirit of the traditional oil-making method we developed 150 years ago in France."
When a company like La Tourangelle approaches me about sampling one of their products, I know they've at the very least, skimmed Cooking On The Weekends, and know what products I like to write about.
I love their products, and when they sent me their avocado oil, I was quickly inspired to create this Melon Salad Recipe.
What is Avocado Oil?
Avocado oil the only cooking oil made from the pulp of the fruit, rather than the pit or skin.
With a delicate, almost buttery flavor and a mouth feel that's amazingly smooth, La Tourangelle Avocado Oil is lovely.
It's fantastic in this Melon Salad recipe -- especially with the bits of finger limes mixed into it. Delicious!
Uses for Avocado Oil
- Not only is avocado oil superb cold in viniagrettes and dressings, but it's fantastic for grilling, sautéing and frying, as it has a very high smoking point.
- Can you use avocado oil for baking? Yes you can. It's a great alternative to vegetable oil.
La Tourangelle oils are Non-GMO certified, 100% natural, and the list of avocado oil health benefits is impressive.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- The measurements in this salad do not have to be precise.
- You can use a drizzle of lime juice instead of finger limes if you can't find them.
- Vegan? Skip the cheese and add cucumber.
- I think it's fun and pretty to "shave" the melon and other ingredients, but of course you can cut and slice them any way you like.
This is not a sponsored post. I'm writing about this particular avocado oil because I really like it and love it in the avocado oil dressing in this melon salad.
I hope you love it too!
Melon Salad with Avocado Oil Dressing
- about 4 (1 to 2-inch thick) slices of melon (I used Summer Kiss)
- about ¼ cup red onion, super thinly sliced
- about 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- ¼ medium-sized avocado super thinly sliced
- about 1½ tablespoons Avocado oil
- 2 small Finger limes
- Remove the skin from the melon slices and then, holding them down on a clean, dry surface, use a vegetable peeler to "shave" them into super thin, ribbon-like slices. (You can also use a very sharp knife, if it's easier.) Add the melon to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, cheese and avocado slices.
- Drizzle with the avocado oil, cut the Finger limes in half, horizontally, and then squeeze them on top. (Here's more about Finger limes.)
- Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and serve. (It's quick and easy to toss every together in the mixing bowl, but for a very pretty, composed finish, you can arrange the ingredients, as you prepare them, directly onto the serving plates.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Our grocer just started carrying La Touragnelle oils, and I am so excited to try this salad! (Probably before the brownies!)
I think you'll love it, David. Thanks so much. (Hope you had a happy Sunday, too!)
That looks so refreshing! I've got some Lime infused Avocado Oil by Avohaus that is going to be perfect with your recipe. Love Avocado Oil...thanks for spotlighting it's versatility and the health benefits like you mentioned are "Impressive"!
Thanks so much, Amy. Hope you enjoy the salad -- and how great the oil is already in your pantry. 🙂
I love Tourangelle oils!!! They are my "go to" for nut oils and the avocado oil is gorgeous - and so is this salad! Love the combination of melon, avocado, cheese and the kick from the fingers limes is perfect!! You know, it's really unfair to tempt me this early in the morning!!
Nancy Rose Eisman
Gorgeous! Some fancy schmancy restaurant needs to buy this recipe from you - much smaller portions of course. Just one question: how the heck did you make those awesome avocado ribbons?
Thank you, Nancy! Very sharp knife -- and the avo has to be firm (while still ripe). 🙂
Coco in the Kitchen
Avocado oil is such an indulgence.
I love the way you shaved the avocado into thin slices.
I have no idea how you managed that, Valentina. Must be magic.
LOVE this salad.
I love it, Colette -- magic in the kitchen. 🙂
I adore a light salad that includes sweet, juicy summer fruit! Your scrumptious recipe is one to try while melons are still in season.
Thanks, Deb. I'm eating as much melon as possible before the end of the season. So sweet this year.
First of all, that anecdote about the prostrate vitamins is too funny! Hah - can't wait to see what recipe you come up with for that one. 🙂
Second, I made this last night. I was disappointed that my local Gelson's didn't have the Avocado oil (or finger limes), but I went ahead anyway. Made it with avocado, summer kiss melon, regular old limes, parmesan, red onion and part with walnut oil and part with olive oil. I could see how the avocado oil would really bring it together, but it was still absolutely lovely. Such an interesting mix of flavors - sweet, tangy, creamy - with a little bite. I loved it - you are so creative! Mine looked a lot more messy than your gorgeous presentation, but I didn't care one bit.
Aimée - you are the sweetest! Thank you for trying this recipe! SO HAPPY you liked it! (I think the walnut oil would be delish!)
There are some serious skills here. Beautiful. GREG
why thank you, Greg! 🙂 xo
What a unique recipe. This sounds fantastic. Truly cannot wait to try this, YUM!
Thank you, Rosa!
What a lovely combination. Something I wouldn't have thought of. Cant wait to try this now.
I hope you love it, Cristie!
This is going to be a summer staple in our house! We love anything with avocado and this salad is such a refreshing combination
I hope you love it, Liz. Thank yoU!
Love the combination of flavors! This looks really light and fresh!
Thank you, Caitlyn. 🙂
Amy | The Cook Report
Yum this just looks so fresh and healthy!
Enjoy, Amy! Thank you.
What a great idea to put these flavors together. It's like a summer paradise! Savory and sweet- perfect.
Thanks, Katie! Yes, it's getting me ready for summer foods.
I've recently started using avocado oil again and I wish it was recommended more frequently. Your salad looks like a perfect salad for spring or summer.
Thanks so much, Rae. Avocado oil has become a staple in our house. 🙂
Wow, I have never seen a recipe like this, such a simple recipe. Love the thin slices
I hope you try it Noelle. 🙂
Oh! I am all over this delicious, refreshing salad! Can't wait to give it a try!
Thanks, Jillina. I hope you love it!
Probably the best salad I've ever had! Light and refreshing. Easy, wonderful flavor! Whole family enjoyed it!
Makes me happy. Thank you, Mary. 🙂