These are the ten kitchen tools you can’t live without. Okay, that I can’t live without. I use most of these on a daily basis and can’t imagine cooking without them! These are not gadgets — just basic, durable tools that are not expensive or fancy.
This list of my essential kitchen tools has stayed the same for over a decade.
Truthfully, there are more than ten things I couldn’t live without in my kitchen — however, these are the most important.
Now, could I really not live without them? Yes, of course I’d continue breathing if someone took away my cast iron skillet! Would I be sad without it? Very sad!
You’ll notice none of these items are “fancy,” or “gadget-y.” They’re all simple, strong, durable, highly functional tools.
I’m almost as passionate about my need for these items as I am about incredibly delicious food. In my kitchen, the magic couldn’t happen without them!
Ten Kitchen Tools I Can’t Live Without
1. Cast Iron Skillet. I have a 10-inch and a 12-inch. I use one or both of these skillets at least once, if not twice a day. They’re great for searing meat, making quesadillas, making stews and stir fries, baking breads, satuéing burgers, and more. Really, this list is just the tip of the iceberg. This pan sears and caramelizes like no other. My cast iron skillet only gets a washing if it must. Otherwise it lives on the front left burner of my stove, slightly oiled, waiting for action at all times.
2. Kitchen Tongs. Bacon anyone? And how else would I turn roasting vegetables, steak on the grill, or searing scallops?
3. Glass Mixing Bowls. I think I have at least two of every size. I use these all the time for prep, mixing, marinating, and even serving.
4. Sheet Pans. These are the best! I use them for prepping, roasting, baking pizza crust, baking cookies, and the list goes on — a lot longer.
5. Wooden Spatula. I’d be hard pressed to enjoy making a stir-fry without this! It’s the perfect deglazing tool!
6. Cookie Scoops. It shapes all of my cookies, meatballs, crab cakes, risotto cakes, and so on.
7. Microplane Grater-Zester. This cool tool finely grates zest, garlic, chocolate, cheese, and my favorite . . . fresh ginger.
8. Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups. Since I’m recipe testing all the time, and want to make sure I give you excellent instructions, I use all of these all the time! If you’re a baker, they’re absolutely essential, since baking is more of a science, than “a little of this, a little of that.”
9. Chef’s Knife. It’s crucial. It’s almost never dry, I use it so often. I’m partial to Wusthof, and I love the round, smooth handle. Try a few, to see what feels best in your hand. It’s simply a matter of taste and most importantly, comfort. I’m short and little, so 6 or 8-inches is perfect for me. Are you tall? Maybe go with the 10-inch. Just ask the folks at the store what’s best for you.
10. Paring Knife. My paring knife is 4-inches, which is perfect, and it has very different uses than a Chef’s knife, so both (among a few others) are very important to have.
So while these are 10 Kitchen Tools I Couldn’t Live Without, there are many more kitchen tools I love and use quite often — a serrated knife, a whisk, and my cutting boards are right up there, too. In fact, I probably use my cutting board several times a day! Should’ve made the cut. (Pun intended.) 😉
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.