These are the 10 Kitchen Tools I Couldn’t Live Without. I use most of these on a daily basis and can’t imagine cooking without them! These are not gadgets — just basic, durable tools that are not expensive or fancy. I originally wrote this list in 2011, and I’m happy to say that it’s exactly the same today. And what makes me even happier is that I’ve had all of the above pictured items since long before that!
Truthfully, there are more than ten things I couldn’t live without in my kitchen — however, these are the most important.
Now, could I really not live without them? Yes, of course I’d continue breathing if someone took away my cast iron skillet! Would I be sad without it? Very sad!
There’s Nothing too Fancy in my Kitchen
You’ll notice none of these items are “fancy,” or “gadget-y.” They’re all simple, strong, durable, highly functional tools.
I’m almost as passionate about my need for these items as I am about incredibly delicious food. In my kitchen, the magic couldn’t happen without them!
10 Kitchen Tools I Couldn’t Live Without
1. Cast Iron Skillet. I have a 10-inch and a 12-inch. I use one or both of these skillets at least once, if not twice a day. They’re great for searing meat, making quesadillas, making stews and stir fries, baking breads, satuéing burgers, and more. Really, this list is just the tip of the iceberg. This pan sears and caramelizes like no other. My cast iron skillet only gets a washing if it must. Otherwise it lives on the front right burner of my stove, slightly oiled, waiting for action at all times.
2. Kitchen Tongs. Bacon anyone? And how else would I turn roasting vegetables, steak on the grill, or searing scallops?
3. Glass Mixing Bowls. I think I have at least two of every size. I use these all the time for prep, mixing, marinating, and even serving.
4. Sheet Pans. These are the best! I use them for prepping, roasting, baking pizza crust, baking cookies, and the list goes on — a lot longer.
I seriously use all of these kitchen tools almost daily!
5. Wooden Spatula. I’d be hard pressed to enjoy making a stir-fry without this! It’s the perfect deglazing tool!
6. Cookie Scoops. I also have a 1-inch, and a couple larger sizes. It shapes all of my cookies, meatballs, crab cakes, risotto cakes, and so on.
7. Microplane Grater-Zester. This cool tool finely grates zest, chocolate, cheese, and my favorite . . . fresh ginger.
8. Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups. Since I’m recipe testing all the time, and want to make sure I give you excellent instructions, I use all of these all the time!
9. Chef’s Knife. It’s essential. It’s almost never dry, I use it so often. I’m partial to Wusthof, and I love the round, smooth handle. Try a few, to see what feels best in your hand. It’s simply a matter of taste and most importantly, comfort. I’m short and little, so 6 or 8-inches is perfect for me. Are you tall? Maybe go with the 10-inch. Just ask the folks at the store what’s best for you.
10. Paring Knife. My paring knife is 4-inches, which is perfect, and it has very different uses than a Chef’s knife, so both (among a few others) are very important to have.
So while these are 10 Kitchen Tools I Couldn’t Live Without, there are many more kitchen tools I love and use quite often — a serrated knife, a whisk, and my cutting board are right up there, too. In fact, I probably use my cutting board several times a day! Should’ve made the cut. (Pun intended.) 😉
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.