This Tomato Feta Salsa makes for an excellent snack with chips, and it’s divine over grilled meat, chicken or fish! I love unique summer salsa recipes, and this is one of my all time favorites! At the super delicious and delightful Summertime Garden Party I went to, my friend Judy made a Mint and Feta Salsa. It was outstanding, and I’d never before thought of adding cheese to a salsa. It was brilliant!
Totally inspired by Judy’s creation, I made this salsa with summer tomatoes as the star. The Feta and other colorful ingredients make it something very special — the deep, seasonal flavors are fresh and bright, and the textures are both crunchy and soft. I served it with grilled lamb, and it would be equally as divine with steak, or chicken.
How to Make a Unique Salsa
- Use nexpected ingredient combinations. For example in this salsa, it’s the cheese!
- Mix up the flavors. Sweet, tangy, savory, rich,
- Color! Bright, vibrant colors always make salsas unique. It can be like art!
- Various textures. Crunchy, crisp, soft, creamy, juicy, and so on.
Cheese in a Salsa Recipe?
I know this might sound a bit off — and it certainly did to me the first time I saw it. However, after one bite, I was hooked on the idea. It won’t be something that works with a lot of ingredients, but here, incorporating the Feta into the tomatoes, capers, onions and basil, is brilliant!
Try it and you’ll immediately see what I mean.
Oh, and you know what would be fabulous!? A spoonful on a burger! Go for it!
Whatever you decide to eat it with, enjoy!
Can’t get enough salsa?
Here are my top 5 unique summer salsa recipes:
- Grape-Plum Summer Salsa
- Watermelon Cucumber Summer Salsa
- Roasted Hatch Chile and White Peach Summer Salsa
- Citrus Cucumber Salsa
- Strawberry Avocado Salsa
Oh and wait, here’s one more! From my Chef Mimi Blog: Cherry Salsa Recipe.
This Tomato Feta Salsa makes for an excellent snack with chips, and it's divine over grilled meat, chicken or fish! I love unique summer salsa recipes, and this is one of my all time favorites!
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/4 cup capers
- 3 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Feta cheese, finely crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a medium-sized bowl, mix everything together. (Here's How to Season to Taste.)
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time. To do so, do not add the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper until just before you're ready to serve.