Hazelnut Simple Syrup or Frangelico Syrup is so delicious and it can be made in about five minutes. It will enhance all sorts of cocktails and cakes. Here’s the deal: You’re going to want to know How To Make Simple Syrup for my over the top, Chocolate Blackout Nutella Cake.
Of course the cake isn’t the only reason to learn how to make it. The possibilities for its uses are almost endless.
What is Simple Syrup?
- Simple syrup is a mixture of equal parts sugar and water.
- Simple syrup is commonly used in mixed drinks, coffee drinks and in various dessert recipes — especially in layered cakes. It adds flavor and it’s the perfect ingredient to help create an incredibly moist texture.
Just check this cake out — every layer has a drizzling of Hazelnut Simple Syrup. It’s SO delicious!
How to Make Simple Syrup
- Equal parts of water and sugar are heated until the sugar dissolves. Then the mixture is cooled and various flavors can be added to it.
- Hazelnut Simple Syrup is essentially a simple syrup with the addition of Frangelico, a hazelnut liqueur. It’s therefore also referred to as Frangelico Syrup.
Uses for Hazelnut Simple Syrup
Simple syrup can be . . . .
- added to hot and cold coffee drinks
- mixed into cocktails
- drizzled into cakes
- stirred into lemonade
- mixed into iced tea
- drizzled over fresh fruit
- brushed on fresh fruit tarts as a glaze
What else can you flavor simple syrup with?
- fresh herbs like mint, basil, rosemary, and thyme
- spices like cinnamon and cloves
- almost any fruit you can think of
These are probably just the tip of the iceberg.
A couple recipes with the Hazelnut Simple Syrup:
Simple syrups can be flavored with almost anything from lavender and vanilla to ginger and citrus, and so on.
That’s it. Simple, indeed.
Hazelnut Simple Syrup or Frangelico Syrup can be made in about 5 minutes and is delicious in all sorts of cocktails and cakes.
Makes about 2 cups / serving size: 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup Frangelico Hazelnut Liqueur
Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan, and place it over medium heat. Stir it gently and cook until all of the sugar has dissolved, about 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the Frangelcio. Let it cool to room temperature before using in recipes.
Simple Syrup is super simple to make (yes, pun intended), and can be stored for about two months in an airtight container in the refrigerator.