This Roasted Hatch Chile Peach Salsa Recipe is sweet, spicy, delicious and refreshing all at once. And it’s an ideal beautiful summer appetizer. Just add chips!This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience at no additional cost to you.
Winter, spring, summer, hatch, and fall.
Some consider Hatch Chile season as important as any other season — and they fit it in so snugly between summer and fall. Don’t you think? Well, it happens to be one of my favorite food seasons — I look forward to it every summer.
What are Hatch Chiles?
- Hatch chiles are a prized New Mexican chile.
- These Southwestern chiles are grown in the Mesilla Valley, where the sunlight is intense and and the nights are cool. It’s this climate combination that creates wonderful earthy flavored, subtly sweet, delicious mild or hot Hatch chiles.
- Hatch chiles are one of the few chiles where hot and mild an be determined, even though they all look the same. They should be labeled as such in stores — if they’re not, I’d ask the produce department if they know, and if they don’t, ask them to cut into one for you. They can be very, very hot — or not at all.
When is Hatch Chile Season?
This very special season only lasts about six weeks, during August and September. So don’t waste a moment before you get them.
And this year there are more Hatch Chile Roasting dates than ever, where you can get a huge box of the chiles and have them roasted for you on the spot.
Click on the map for all of the dates and locations.
Melissa’s Produce has even created a Hatch Chile Cookbook dedicated to this one beautiful chile, celebrating its glorious season with over 150 recipes.
Oh, and check out the Hatch Chile powder! It comes in mild and hot — I use them both all the time!
All sorts of dishes can be spiced up with the Hatch Chile powder.
Omelets, breads, chili, stews, and so on.
I make this Roasted Hatch Chile Peach Salsa Recipe as many times as possible during Hatch Chile season. I love using white peaches, but yes, any peach variety will be delicious!
This is not a sponsored post. Melissa’s Produce sent me Hatch Chiles for recipe testing. As always, all opinions are my own.
*Makes about 3 cups.
- 1 cup roasted hatch chiles, (click here for How to Roast Peppers) seeds and stems removed and cut into a small dice
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh white peaches, washed and dried, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, washed and dried, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and sugar to taste
Combine the chiles, onion, peaches, cilantro and lime juice in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir gently to evenly distribute all of the ingredients.
Season to taste with salt and (if necessary), sugar. (Here's How to Season to Taste).
I love this with the white peaches, but any peach variety would be lovely.