These gluten-free, fudge-like brownies have a thin layer of delicate mint running through them . . . in the form of an After Eight Mint! Where have I been?
Well, it’s five weeks today that my dad’s been in the hospital. What should have been one week is now five, and it’ll still be another few.
This was elective heart surgery that was going to give my dad a “new lease on life.” His shortness of breath was going to be gone, and he’d be able to hike in his beloved Santa Monica Mountains again.
Ironically, his heart is doing great. It’s the numerous complications that have been keeping him there. In the last couple of days though, it seems like things are finally beginning to turn around. Phew.
He’s very weak, and his spirits are quite low. I’m working on turning that around, too.
My mom, who has her own set of health issues, isn’t able to visit him, so it’s the longest time in their fifty-two year marriage that they’ve been apart. It’s both heartbreaking and lovely to see how much they miss each other.
I believe my dad will be back home with my mom soon, and a while after, I’m hoping he’ll climbing those mountains again. In the meantime, there’s not much like the comfort of chocolate, so I made brownies.
Not just ordinary brownies, either! Have you ever had an After Eight, Mint Chocolate Thin? They’re quite special. Growing up, my friend Aimée’s family always seemed to have these around the house — and I always seemed to be eating them!
These individually wrapped candies are a creamy mint fondant inside a crisp, delicate, dark chocolate coating.
Of course they’re delectable on their own, but I thought it might be nice to have a thin layer of them in a brownie. So I made it happen.
You should too!
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- approximately 32 After Eight Mint Chocolate Thins (about 1¼ boxes)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and adjust a rack to the center.
- Melt the butter and set it aside to cool. Use the butter wrappers to grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar, vanilla and salt until it's light in color and thick, about 2 minutes. (Use an electric mixer if possible.) Fold in the cooled, melted butter.
- In another bowl, mix the gluten-free flour with the sifted cocoa powder. Now fold this into the wet ingredients and mix until you no longer see dry spots and it's smooth.
- Add about half of the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth it out with an offset spatula. Add one even layer of the After Eight Mint Chocolates directly on top of the batter. There should be no spaces between them, and you can cut some of them to fit into the corners snugly.
- Spread the remaining half of the batter on top of the candies evenly, and place the baking dish in the oven just until the batter is cooked all the way through and is set, about 40 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan for at least 45 minutes and then slice them into 2 dozen evenly sized pieces.
While I wish I could tell you Nestle sponsored this post, I’m just singing the praises of their oh-so-delicious After Eight Chocolate Mints because I love them. 🙂