Remember when you were a kid, how exciting it was to wake up on your birthday? That feeling of “can’t wait to get out of bed and see what wonderful things the day would bring?”
I feel incredibly fortunate to get this same — almost giddy — feeling, thinking up new, delicious flavor combinations. (Really!) I absolutely can’t wait to get in the kitchen, gather my ingredients, turn on my music, and cook!
I grew up in a world of antiques, vegetable gardens, photography, painting, love, and really, really delicious and interesting food. Cooking On The Weekends combines all of those things — and allows me to share them.
In a nutshell, my food blog is about cooking creative, comforting food, for casual entertaining.
I want to hear from you! I’m so excited to share my cooking ideas and creations! I want to inspire you to cook! I will always be thrilled to receive your comments, questions and thoughts.
A few things to know about Valentina and food:
- My recipe ideas come from anywhere and everywhere: my fruit bowl, food images in magazines, walking down an aisle in the market, talking with people, colors, the weather, my mood, my kids, a book, a TV show, the seasons, and the list goes on.
- I have too many favorite foods to list.
- Foods are rarely too rich for me. I don’t really get it when someone says they can only have one bite because a dessert is too rich (particularly chocolate).
- I believe most foods are OK in moderation. (Yes, that includes sugar!)
- I eat just about everything — with the exception of sea urchin and okra.
- I always try to cook with local, fresh, healthy ingredients.
- I cook every cuisine I can. I adore using flavors from other countries and learning about how people eat in other cultures. LOVE it!
- My ten-year-old son was diagnosed with Celiac Disease five years ago. He and my husband are gluten-free, so I often experiment with recipes for new gluten-free cookies, cakes, etc. And I always try to give gluten-free options in my recipes.
- I have an aversion to “fake” foods, like Tofurky, for example. I would rather skip an ingredient than use a “fake” substitute. (P.S. I do love tofu — just not when it’s pretending to be something else!)
- It doesn’t get much better than eating a ripe plum off my parents’ tree in their backyard.
- I love how chocolate chips go from dry to wet as soon as they’re mixed into cookie dough.
- I’m in love with comfort foods!
- My kitchen is my retreat, and you can learn why here.
- And I tend to use a lot of exclamation points. I can’t help myself. I am just so excited about what I’m cooking!
And what do I do when I’m not in the kitchen? I hang out with these loves of my life.
I’m so happy that you love Cooking On The Weekends! You’re welcome to link to recipes and posts on this blog — however, please note that all the content and photography is wholly owned by me. One cannot reprint any writing, recipes or photographs found on this site without express written consent. Thank you!
Top photo credit: Gail Albert Halaban