Broiled Grapefruit Slices with Honey have a touch of ginger and fresh thyme. They’re deliciously light and subtly sweet. Broiled grapefruit is a treat for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
Inspiration for Broiled Grapefruit Slices with Honey
Most fresh fruits, I love on their own. Grapefruit however, I prefer when it’s added to other flavors, or when other flavors are added to it. I like it on its own, but love it when it’s enhanced a bit.
And I found a new, delicious way to do this when I was recently given a few beautiful grapefruits.
How to make Broiled Grapefruit Slices with Honey
After cutting them into large, gorgeous slices revealing their perfect, rosy red flesh, I drizzled them with honey infused with fresh thyme and ginger. Then I broiled the wedges to caramelize and sweeten the surface.
And voilà, a stunning and delicious result: Broiled Grapefruit Slices with honey, ginger and fresh thyme.
Oh my! It’s so good!
The broiled grapefruit slices would be super tasty to serve as they are, after they come out from under the broiler, but I have other ideas for it too . . .
Ideas for how to serve Broiled Grapefruit Slices
- It is the star in my Wilted Chard and Basil-Grapefruit Sesame Salad Recipe.
- Can you imagine how incredible it would be to serve a few wedges on top of a couple of scoops of vanilla bean ice-cream? Just peel the skin off first and keeping them warm, they will slightly melt the ice cream. Perfect.
- How how about tossing them into a fresh green salad? It would be so pretty to serve as a first course. (Peel before you add them.)
- You could also mix them into a fruit salad with many other textures and colors, like blueberries and bananas. The honey-ginger infused with thyme would lightly flavor everything. (Peel before you add them.)
I love this broiled grapefruit recipe, and I think the thyme is especially delicious with it, but rosemary or sage would also be really interesting.
I hope you love Broiled Grapefruit Slices as much as I do.
A few more of my favorite grapefruit recipes:
- Grapefruit Avocado Salad Recipe
- Grapefruit Brûlée
- Honey Grapefruit Popsicles
- Grapefruit Marmalade Recipe with Jalapeños
- Pickled Ginger-Citrus Salad with Creamy Wasabi Dressing
Broiled Grapefruit Slices with Honey have a touch of ginger and fresh thyme. They're deliciously light and subtly sweet. Broiled grapefruit is a treat for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
Cut the grapefruit in half horizontally, and then cut each half into about six even wedges.
Place the grapefruit, a few inches apart, on a baking sheet. Set aside.
Turn on the broiler and place the rack/shelf as close as you can to the flame, with enough room for the grapefruit to be at least a couple inches below it.
Add the honey, water, thyme and ginger to a small saucepan, and place it over medium-high heat. Cook only until it's a thinner, evenly combined mixture, about 2 minutes.
Spoon about half of the honey mixture over the grapefruit wedges, and place the baking sheet under the broiler. Broil only until they are beginning to char and are sizzling a bit.
Then flip each slice of grapefruit over and spoon the remaining honey mixture on top. Return the baking sheet under the broiler until it looks like the other side. (Each side will only take a couple of minutes, so keep a close eye on them!)
You can use any variety of grapefruit you like.
You can also make this as two larger portions by leaving it in two halves, (like this), and then dividing the sauce between them.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.