Nutella Truffles

by valentina on December 30, 2011

Post image for Nutella Truffles

I know, I know, you get it already:  I have a thing for Nutella.

And yes, while I love my Nutella recipes, I also love Nutella right out of the jar. (Who wouldn’t?)

And this “recipe,” my friends, is brilliant!  And ridiculous! My friend Aimeé was over and sampled these the first time I made them.  She put it perfectly, “the chocolate shell is the perfect carrying case for the Nutella!”

Exactly my point, Aimée!

So don’t feel that you’re being overly indulgent with your spoon and the Nutella jar.  Simply eat this elegant dessert with company!

This very coming Saturday night ring in the New Year with a champagne toast . . .  and a bite of Nutella!

Nutella Truffles

Prep Time: 4 hours

Active Work Time: 30 minutes

Yield: Makes about 1-1/2 dozen

1 (13-ounce) jar of Nutella

8-ounces finely chopped dark chocolate (I like Scharffen Berger)

1 tablespoon Hazelnut Praline (here is the recipe)

1. Place the jar or Nutella in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, and ideally overnight.
  2. Once the Nutella has refrigerated long enough, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. Remove the Nutella from the refrigerator and use a 1-1/4-inch cookie scoop,to shape about 1-1/2 dozen truffles, placing them on one of the parchment-covered baking sheets as you go. Then place the shaped truffles in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
  4. While the shaped truffles are in the freezer, melt the chocolate -- either in a double boiler, or in the microwave. (If you melt the chocolate in the microwave, do it in 30 second increments.) The melted chocolate should go in a small deep bowl.
  5. Remove the shaped truffles from the freezer and use a fork, to carefully dip each truffle into the melted chocolate to coat it evenly, and place them on the other parchment-lined baking sheet. You can use a small knife to help you remove the covered truffle from the fork. The truffles will set quickly because they've been in the freezer -- so after about every two, sprinkle them with the Hazelnut Praline.

Notes

I like the 1-1/4-inch size for these truffles, but use any cookie scoop you like! (The yield will vary as you change the size.)

Timeline:
1 day and at least 3 hours ahead: Place the jar of Nutella in the refrigerator.
Up to 8 hours and at least 1 hour ahead: Shape, dip and sprinkle the truffles.
The Hazelnut Praline can be made up to 2 days ahead — keep it in an airtight container in a cool place.

(This is not a sponsored post or an advertisement in any way.  I’m just being real here!)

amee December 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm

This is a beautiful presentation and nutella is a big winner. and yes, i do have a bite right out of the jar! :) ps – i like your claim that it’s not an advertisement. :)

sippitysup December 31, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Happy New Year. GREG

Lana January 1, 2012 at 12:40 am

You are going to kill me with these concoctions! My favorite combination of flavors is chocolate and hazelnut, and I just adore Nutella (Ferrero Rocher is the best ever, though:)
Happy New Year, and thank you for being my friend! Cheers for a glorious year ahead for both of us! And more chances to spend time together:)

Quyen - Kitchen Runway January 1, 2012 at 1:43 am

I love a soft spot for nutella too!! Love that stuff! That’s a great looking truffle and I love the sprinkle of hazelnut praline! Happy New Year!

Sophie January 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

MMMMM,…Your nutella truffles look so delightful & apart too!
Lovely bites!

Aimee January 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

So wishing I had a plate of these in front of me right now! Yum!

Kim January 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hi Valentina! I think we briefly met at Andrew’s after the IFBC weekend?! Anyway, it was a pleasure to speak with you and discover your blog. I use a lot of exclamation points too, so I understand completely.

The nutella truffles? AWESOME!!!!! Way more sophisticated than spooning it out of the jar.

Happy New Year to you!

[K]

Dina Conforti January 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm

WOW!! These look gorgeously yummy!!! Both my parents are italian which means I spent quite a bit of time in Italy where Nutella always was very much part of my diet;)! The day it came to Canada and I didn’t have to smuggle jars in my suit case was a day to celebrate:)!! Happy 2012 to you:)!!

valentina January 3, 2012 at 7:19 am

Hi Dina — how amazing to have gotten to travel to Italy so much! Happy New Year to you, too! :-)

Liah January 14, 2012 at 1:22 am

I’m sort of so-so on Nutella… do you think peanut butter would work as well?

valentina January 14, 2012 at 6:12 am

Hi Liah — if you use peanut butter, you’ll have to add sugar, maybe 3/4 cup sugar to 2 cups peanut butter (Nutella is already sweetened) — and it would have to be a brand of peanut butter that becomes quite firm when refrigerated. Let me know how it goes, and thanks for reading Cooking On The Weekends! :-)

Girl Cook Art @girlcookart January 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Oh, they look so professionally made! and yet so simple..good job, kudos!

valentina January 20, 2012 at 5:45 pm

many thanks!

Arina February 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm

miam miam miam I loved the caption on dessert stalking.com :)

valentina February 26, 2012 at 6:10 am