This Creamy Avocado Dressing with Lime will bring anything it's served with to the next level. It's not only delicious on salads, but also on fruit, burgers, chicken and fish. It's creamy, rich and healthy -- all at once.
You won't believe the incredible blend of fresh flavors that will hit your tongue when you try this avocado dressing recipe.
One of my favorite homemade salad dressings, every avocado lover will flip for this, and it takes just ten minutes to whip up.
This is a healthy salad dressing that you can feel food about. It's a vegan recipe made with fresh avocado, lime, extra virgin olive oil and a few spices. Avocados are full of healthy fats, and along with the olive oil, are what make this such a creamy dressing. The lime adds a delightful, bright tangy taste and the spices warm it up a bit.
What's in this recipe?
Just a few simple ingredients . . .
- avocado - Ripe avocados should yield to firm gentle pressure. It will feel slightly soft but it will not “mushy” to the touch.
- lime juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- sugar - Not to worry, just a touch.
- black pepper - Preferably freshly ground.
(See recipe card below for quantities.)
Substitutions and Variations
- I use fresh lime juice in the recipe, but a combination of lime and lemon juice, or just the lemon, would also be fantastic.
- For a sharper flavor you can use fresh garlic instead of the garlic powder. (About 3 small garlic cloves.)
- The recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil, and you can also use avocado oil.
- Spicy version. If you want to add a bit of heat to this delicious dressing, a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, or fresh jalapeño would be great.
- Feel free to add fresh herbs if you'd like. Fresh cilantro is a great match for avocado, and dill or chervil would be lovely too.
- For a little crunch, you can mix in finely chopped green onions after the ingredients are blended.
- While you can certainly make the dressing by hand, a powerful blender or mini food processor will give you the creamiest result.
- Blend in the blender for at least 20 seconds, or vigorously whisk for about 40 seconds.
- Always be sure to use the best ingredients possible. Use a ripe avocado, that's not mushy, and soft, juicy limes.
- This healthy dressing is on the thicker side. I love it this way, but if you'd like to thin it a bit, you can add a couple of tablespoons of water or coconut water.
- You'll notice a small amount of sugar in the recipe. This is for a touch of sweetness to balance the citrus. Feel free to use more or less of it.
How to Make Creamy Avocado Dressing
It couldn't be any easier to make this.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or mini food processor and blend until the dressing is as smooth as possible.
- It will bring any salad to another level. In fact, even a salad of just leafy greens is enough to go with it.
- Spread it on burgers and in all sorts of sandwiches.
- The creamy texture of this avocado dressing recipe is perfect with my Compressed Watermelon Salad (pictured below). I highly recommend trying this during the summer.
- This dressing is also fantastic with my Mexican Blackened Salmon, grilled shrimp, and a variety of other fish or chicken dishes.
- Serve it as a an avocado dipping sauce with fresh raw vegetables or tortilla chips.
- It's also excellent in burrito bowls, tacos and tostadas.
- Maybe even on toast with sliced tomatoes -- a variation of an Avocado Toast of sorts.
How to Store it
The best way to store the avocado dressing is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Mason jars are perfect for storing salad dressings. It can be stored in the refrigerator for about one week.
More Favorite Avocado Recipes
- Spiced Avocado Fries
- Strawberry Avocado Salsa
- Zucchini Avocado Bread Recipe
- Cucumber Avocado Salad with Grapefruit
- Grilled Avocado with Egg and Bacon Compote
I hope you enjoy every last drop of my Creamy Avocado Dressing with Lime!
Creamy Avocado Dressing with Lime
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¾ cup packed avocado
- 1¾ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons gournd cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until the dressing is as smooth as possible.*