Spiced Avocado Fries recipe is gluten-free, vegan and unbelievably tasty! A crispy crust full of warm spices wraps around nutrient rich slices of creamy avocado. It’s the perfect healthy snack, appetizer or side dish.
Let’s get one thing straight before we get into this recipe . . . . these are not French fries. Avocado Fries are simply a tasty, healthy play on French Fries.
Okay, now we can move on. 🙂
How to Make These Gluten-Free, Vegan Spiced Avocado Fries
- Mix gluten-free breadcrumbs with the salt and spices.
- Cut the avocado into 1/2-inch slices. (Here’s How to Peel and Cut an Avocado)
- Place a few avocado slices on top of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Sprinkle some of the breadcrumb mixture on top.
- Gently press the coated avocado slices to be sure the crumbs stick to them.
- Fry the coated avocado slices in a very hot pan to brown both sides.
- Place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
(More detailed instructions are below.)
- Always try to buy locally grown avocados! You know what a bummer it is when you cut into an avocado and it’s either fibrous or has dark spots? That’s often from the long travel it takes avocados to arrive at their final destination.
- Ripe but firm! There is such a thing as a ripe, firm avocado. And that’s exactly how they should be for this recipe. They should have just a tiny bit of give to the touch. (If they’re too soft, they might fall apart.)
- Hot pan and oil! Do not add the coated avocados to the pan with the oil until it’s very hot. You should hear a sizzling sound the second they hit. If you don’t, wait until it’s hotter. They is what makes a crispy avocado fry!
What to Dip Avocado Fries in
This recipe is so deliciously spiced, that they don’t need a dip at all. However, if you’re so inclined . . .
- They would be tasty in Chipotle Aioli.
- And of course, feel free to dip them in ketchup or Ranch dressing.
What to Serve with Them
They would be fantastic with steak, chicken, chili and entrée salads. Here are a few that would be excellent . . .
- Red Goddess Grilled Flank Steak
- Lemon-Herb Roasted Chicken Under a Brick
- Colorado-Style Chipotle Chocolate Chili
- Roasted Vegetable Citrus Salad
I hop you enjoy these delectable Gluten-Free, Vegan Spiced Avocado Fries!
Spiced Avocado Fries recipe is gluten-free, vegan and unbelievably tasty! A crispy crust full of warm spices wraps around nutrient rich slices of creamy avocado. It's the perfect healthy snack, appetizer or side dish.
In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the salt and spices. Pour the mixture onto a flat plate or shallow bowl and set aside. Cover a large plate or baking sheet with a paper towel and set it aside as well.
Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit, peel, and then slice each half into approximately five long slices (approximately 1/2-inch thick). Here's How to Peel and Cut an Avocado.
Coat the bottom of a large skillet generously with the olive oil. Place it over high heat. As the pan heats up, place the avocado slices -- a couple at a time -- into the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle more crumbs on top and then gently press each slice into crumbs, to be sure they stick to the avocado. Then, flip the slice over, and repeat.
Once your pan is hot, add the coated avocado slices, leaving a few inches between them. Do not crowd the pan -- depending on its size, you may need to do this in a two or three batches. You should hear a sizzling sound when you place them in the pan -- if you don't, wait until the pan it hotter. It's important to wait for the sizzle, or the breadcrumbs won't brown properly. Cook until nicely browned, about 1 minute per side.
Remove the avocado slices from the pan and place on the paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet to drain. Serve!
Update July 2019: This recipe was originally published in 2011 and has just been updated with new images and information.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.