Fresh Strawberry Granita Recipe

Strawberry Granita

So you know I have huge crush on summer strawberries, right?  Well, now I’m seriously flirting with them.

As I told you when we made our Lemon-Basil Strawberry Caprese, I buy six baskets of strawberries at a time.  I’ve been doing this every Sunday at my local Farmer’s Market — and they just keep getting sweeter and sweeter!  I eat about 90% of them, and I share the other 10% — if I’m feeling extra generous. 😉

This past Sunday, I really wanted to make this granita recipe, so before I had a chance to finish the strawberries off, I put some into the food processor and puréed!  I love this strawberry dessert because while the berries are certainly transformed, and mixed with a few things, they don’t loose their intensely intoxicating, sweet, delicious flavor — it still shines brightly.

This would be an absolutely perfect dessert recipe for your 4th of July BBQ!  And you can make it ahead — start it now if you’d like to.

Fresh Strawberry Granita Recipe
 
Prep time
Total time
 
Please note that about 6 hours of the prep time is the freezing time.
Serves: Serves about 6
Ingredients
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, washed, dried and stems removed
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • ¼ cup vodka
Instructions
  1. Add the strawberries to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and blend until they're as smooth a purée as possible.
  2. Place a strainer over a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour in the strawberry purée. Use the back of a large spoon to press on the purée. Strain and press with the spoon until you've gotten as much into the bowl as possible -- the idea is to make a smoother purée. Set aside.
  3. Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Warm this only until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Then pour it into the bowl with the strawberry purée, along with the vodka and orange juice.
  4. Pour the mixture into an 8 X 8-inch baking dish and freeze until the granita becomes slushy, about 1 hour. Use a fork to stir. Continue freezing the granita until frozen, about 4 hours -- stirring every hour with the fork to form crystals. (Stirring during the freezing time is crucial to get the proper consistency.)
  5. Serve!
Notes
You can omit the vodka if you'd like to -- if not, this yummy dessert can double as a cocktail.

Share on YummlyPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Subscribe to Cooking On The Weekends so you don’t miss any new, mouth-watering recipes!

Comments

    • valentina says

      That’s awesome, Laura. So much healthier than ice cream (not that I don’t eat and love ice cream). 🙂

  1. says

    This is so bright and beautiful that it makes me smile from ear to ear! I wish our strawberry season here were longer… Otherwise, may I be part of your 10% club? Happy 4th!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe: