Cheddar Grilled Cheese Bagel Breakfast Recipe with Serrano-Bacon Caramelized Onions and Egg — it’s a mouthful, I know.
As is this breakfast!
(Plus, that’s what my 8-year-old always says when something in amazing.)
- 2 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced brown onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped, seeded Serrano chile pepper (alter the measurement based on the amount of heat you like, and taste the pepper first to see how hot it is)
- 2 plain or egg bagels, sliced in half horizontally
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- About 4-ounces white Cheddar cheese (my favorite is Kerrygold Aged Cheddar), cut into 12 small slices to fit amongst the 4 bagel halves
- 2 large eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a double layer of paper towels on a plate and add the bacon to a medium-sized sauté pan. Place the pan over medium heat and sauté the bacon until it's crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate to drain. Crumble the bacon, add it to a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion and Serrano pepper to the pan with the bacon fat and sauté over medium-low heat, stirring periodically, until the onions are well caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl with the crumbled bacon an season to taste with salt and pepper. (Here's how to season to taste.)
- Place the 4 bagel halves, round side down on a clean, dry surface and drizzle each one with about ½ tablespoon of the syrup.
- Then add about 3 slices of the cheese to the bottom 2 bagel halves.
- Divide the bacon-onion mixture evenly between the 2 halves and top them with the remaining cheese slices and the top 2 bagel halves.
- You can now grill the sandwich on a grill, in a sauté pan, or in a panini press. (If you use a pan or stove-top grill, usehigh heat, and a flat-bottomed metal spatula to firmly press down on the sandwich, then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid or foil until the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes or so.)
- While the sandwich is cooking, use the same pan you cooked the onions in to fry 2 eggs. (If necessary, add a bit of olive oil to the pan and crack the eggs into it. Sauté just until cooked, about 4 minutes.)
- Carefully place 1 fried egg on top of each grilled bagel sandwich and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.