This Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel is nothing short of amazing! All in one grilled cheese bagel you'll get bites of crispy bacon, sweet caramelized onion, spicy serranos, and a perfectly cooked egg. This is one bite you don't want to miss out on!This Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel recipe comes with a side of Serrano-Bacon Caramelized Onions and Egg -- only it's not actually on the side. It's inside.
Might just be the best mouthful ever!
It's epic. There's no other way to describe this sandwich.
What's in this recipe?
- your favorite bagel
- Serrano chilis
- Maple syrup
- Cheddar cheese
- salt, pepper
Below you can exactly what makees this grilled cheese bagel is so epic.
How to Make it
- Cook the bacon and remove it from the pan and crumble it.
- Add the onion and Serrano pepper to the same pan and sauté until the onions are well caramelized.
- Add the onion mixture to the crumbled bacon.
- Drizzle the bagel halves with Maple syrup.
- Add cheese to the bottom halves, and divide the bacon-onion mixture between them. Then top with the remaining cheese slices and the top halves of the bagels.
- Grill the sandwich on a grill, in a sauté pan, or in a panini press until the cheese is completely melted.
- Fry the eggs and place one on top of each grilled bagel sandwich.
(More detailed instructions are below.)
Substitutions and Tips for the Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel
- You should use your favorite type of bagel, and if for some reason bagels aren't your thing, any thickly sliced bread will also work well.
- Vegetarian? Simply skip the bacon. You could add roughly chopped, roasted red pepper instead if you'd like to.
- Gluten-free? There are plenty of gluten-free bagels and breads out there. Choose one you like.
- Cheddar cheese not your thing? Use another firm cheese that is your thing. 🙂
Enjoy every unbelievably scrumptious bite of this Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel!
Another delicious breakfast sandwich:
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel
- 2 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2½ tablespoons Serrano chile pepper, washed and dried, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 whole bagels of your choice, sliced in half horizontally
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- about 4 ounces white Cheddar cheese, cut into thin slices
- 2 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a double layer of paper towels on a plate and add the bacon to a medium-sized sauté pan. Place the pan over medium heat and sauté the bacon until it's crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate to drain. Crumble the bacon, add it to a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion and Serrano pepper to the pan with the bacon fat and sauté over medium-low heat, stirring periodically, until the onions are well caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl with the crumbled bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper. (.)
- Place the 4 bagel halves, round side down on a clean, dry surface and drizzle each one with about ½ tablespoon of the syrup.
- Then divide about half of the cheese slices to the bottom 2 bagel halves. Divide the bacon-onion mixture evenly between them and top them with the remaining cheese slices and then the top halves of the bagels.
- You can now grill the sandwich on a grill, in a sauté pan, or in a panini press. (If you use a pan or stove-top grill, use high heat, and a flat-bottomed metal spatula to firmly press down on the sandwich, then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid or foil until the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes or so.)
- While the sandwich is cooking, use the same pan you cooked the onions in to fry 2 eggs. (If necessary, add a bit of olive oil to the pan and crack the eggs into it. Sauté just until cooked, about 4 minutes.)
- Carefully place 1 fried egg on top of each grilled bagel sandwich and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
Bagel "Madame"? GREG
yes, please 😉
Thanks, Rex! 🙂
Mmmm this look delicious, thanks for posting the recipe, looks quite simple to make.
This looks to die for! How yummy to start out your morning this way!
Thanks, Jenni! Have a great day!
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
I loooove bagel sandwiches for breakfast! This would be so fun for when we have guests staying with us!
Thanks so much, Liz! Hope you try it! 😀
OMG! A breakfast bagel with Serrano-Bacon Caramelized Onions sounds like a favorite. Thanks!
Oh My!! This bagel looks crazy delicious! I haven't had such an amazing looking bagel-- now I need to make it!!
I hope you do. And I hope you love it!
Oh my that looks fantastic! I wish your bagel was my breakfast tomorrow morning. Can you send me some over maybe? 😀
I hope you try it! Enjoy!
This was amazing! Wasn't sure about the whole maple syrup thing, so I served it on the side. Note to others who, like me, don't think that maple syrup automatically makes things better (for example, McGriddles - yuk!), DON'T skip the maple syrup. It really put it over the top and the flavor is not overwhelming. The serrano peppers were an important element as well, but the heat is greatly mellowed by the sauteeing process, so fear not. Also loved that is was a one-pan dish. Thank you for this great recipe.
Hi Mindy, Thanks so much for this awesome comment. You made my day with this review! It's one of my favorites -- even for dinner! Enjoy! (I'm with you on the maple syrup.):-D ~Valentina