This Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel is nothing short of amazing! All in one grilled cheese bagel you’ll get bites of crispy bacon, sweet caramelized onion, spicy serranos, and a perfectly cooked egg. This is one bite you don’t want to miss out on!This Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel recipe comes with a side of Serrano-Bacon Caramelized Onions and Egg — only it’s not actually on the side. It’s inside.
Might just be the best mouthful ever!
It’s epic. There’s no other way to describe this sandwich.
What’s in this recipe?
- your favorite bagel
- Serrano chilis
- Maple syrup
- Cheddar cheese
- salt, pepper
Below you can exactly what makees this grilled cheese bagel is so epic.
How to Make it
- Cook the bacon and remove it from the pan and crumble it.
- Add the onion and Serrano pepper to the same pan and sauté until the onions are well caramelized.
- Add the onion mixture to the crumbled bacon.
- Drizzle the bagel halves with Maple syrup.
- Add cheese to the bottom halves, and divide the bacon-onion mixture between them. Then top with the remaining cheese slices and the top halves of the bagels.
- Grill the sandwich on a grill, in a sauté pan, or in a panini press until the cheese is completely melted.
- Fry the eggs and place one on top of each grilled bagel sandwich.
(More detailed instructions are below.)
Substitutions and Tips for the Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel
- You should use your favorite type of bagel, and if for some reason bagels aren’t your thing, any thickly sliced bread will also work well.
- Vegetarian? Simply skip the bacon. You could add roughly chopped, roasted red pepper instead if you’d like to.
- Gluten-free? There are plenty of gluten-free bagels and breads out there. Choose one you like.
- Cheddar cheese not your thing? Use another firm cheese that is your thing. 🙂
Enjoy every unbelievably scrumptious bite of this Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel!
Another delicious breakfast sandwich:
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Bagel
- 2 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2½ tablespoons Serrano chile pepper, washed and dried, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 whole bagels of your choice, sliced in half horizontally
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- about 4 ounces white Cheddar cheese, cut into thin slices
- 2 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a double layer of paper towels on a plate and add the bacon to a medium-sized sauté pan. Place the pan over medium heat and sauté the bacon until it's crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate to drain. Crumble the bacon, add it to a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion and Serrano pepper to the pan with the bacon fat and sauté over medium-low heat, stirring periodically, until the onions are well caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl with the crumbled bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper. (.)
- Place the 4 bagel halves, round side down on a clean, dry surface and drizzle each one with about ½ tablespoon of the syrup.
- Then divide about half of the cheese slices to the bottom 2 bagel halves. Divide the bacon-onion mixture evenly between them and top them with the remaining cheese slices and then the top halves of the bagels.
- You can now grill the sandwich on a grill, in a sauté pan, or in a panini press. (If you use a pan or stove-top grill, use high heat, and a flat-bottomed metal spatula to firmly press down on the sandwich, then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid or foil until the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes or so.)
- While the sandwich is cooking, use the same pan you cooked the onions in to fry 2 eggs. (If necessary, add a bit of olive oil to the pan and crack the eggs into it. Sauté just until cooked, about 4 minutes.)
- Carefully place 1 fried egg on top of each grilled bagel sandwich and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.