Mini Fruit Skewers Recipe can be made ahead and are the perfect 4th of July appetizer! Fresh, festive and fun, they are over-the-top delicious and great for any outdoor barbecue or summer party. A red, white and blue appetizer recipe for the 4th of July! Isn’t that what we’re looking for on this festive summer holiday?
My favorite red, white and blue recipes are all natural — no food coloring needed.
This sweet, tart, and smoky appetizer is an unexpected, super delicious combination of flavors, and it’s oh so pretty!
The sweetness of the cherries and blueberries is brilliant with the smoky, crisp bacon.
These mini fruit skewers made with cherries and blueberries, are a Caprese kebab of sorts. Well, a play or twist, on the classic Caprese, which is made with tomato, basil and mozzarella.
What’s in Mini Fruit Skewers?
- mozarella balls (also called Bocconcini)
- fresh mint
- orange juice
This delightful, super pretty summer appetizer is not only a great way to start a 4th of July menu, but it’s great for any summer get together, any time of day — lovely for brunch, tasty for lunch, and the perfect beginning to a dinner.
Can you make them ahead?
- Yes, you can make these ahead of time. Up to six hours ahead.
- However early you make them, be sure to place the bacon and mint leaf between the cherry and the cheese — otherwise the cherry will bleed onto it. (Just an aesthetic thing — it’ll be delicious in any order!)
- Store them in the refrigerator until about 15 minutes before you’re ready to serve. Save the last step, which is drizzling them with orange juice, for the last moment.
- If you’d like your kebabs to be able to “stand up,” use a very sharp knife to slice a sliver off of the bottom of each cherry. (It’s easiest to assemble them this way, but they’re still super cute laying down.
- Here are mozzarella pearls. They are the perfect size and lovely because they are round. They should be easy to find in most markets, but if you can’t, you can also cut larger fresh mozzarella into small pieces.
- If you want to change things up, these are also delicious with strawberries and basil.
What to Serve with Mini Fruit Skewers
At any summer barbecue, it would be ideal to start the menu with the fruit kebabs. I would follow them with any or all of the following:
- Balsamic Glazed Watermelon Avocado Chopped Salad
- Grilled Mediterranean Flank Steak
- Fresh Lemon Pepper Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Strawberry Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mini Fruit Skewers Recipe can be made ahead and are the perfect 4th of July appetizer! Fresh, festive and fun, they are over-the-top delicious and great for any outdoor barbecue or summer party.
- 1 dozen toothpicks
- 6 cherries, washed and dried, pitted and sliced in half
- 1 dozen small mint leaves, washed and dried
- 1 strip applewood smoked bacon, cooked cut into 12 small pieces
- 1 dozen fresh little mozzarella pearls (see notes)
- 1 dozen blueberries, washed and dried
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
Place all of the cherry halves on a clean, dry surface and then add a mint leave to each one, followed by a piece of bacon and a mozzarella pearl. Now add the blueberries with the toothpick and press it gently through to the bottom.
Drizzle them lightly with the orange juice and serve!
If you'd like your kebabs to be able to "stand up," use a very sharp knife to slice a sliver off of the bottom of each cherry. (It's easiest to assemble them this way, but they're still super cute laying down.
Here are mozzarella pearls. They are the perfect size and lovely because they are round. They should be easy to find in most markets, but if you can't, you can also cut larger fresh mozzarella into small pieces.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.