Mini Fruit Skewers with blueberries and cherries can be made ahead and are the perfect 4th of July appetizer! Fresh, festive and fun, they are over-the-top delicious and great for any outdoor barbecue or summer party.
Who doesn't love fruit appetizers on a toothpick at a summer party? And this one is super fun for July 4th.
My favorite red, white and blue recipes are all natural -- no food coloring needed.
This sweet, tart, and smoky appetizer is an unexpected, super delicious combination of flavors, and it's so pretty!
The sweetness of the cherries and blueberries is brilliant with the smoky, crisp bacon.These mini fruit skewers made with cherries and blueberries are a Caprese kebab of sorts. Well, a play or twist, on the classic Caprese, which is made with tomato, basil and mozzarella.
Ingredients for Mini Fruit Skewers?
- mozarella balls (also called Bocconcini)
- fresh mint
- orange juice
How to Make Them
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- If you want to substitute the mint, basil leaves are also delicious in mini fruit skewers.
- Vegetarian? Skip the bacon.
- If you'd like your toothpicks to stand upright, simply add the cherry halves with the flat side at the bottom.
- Here are mozzarella pearls. They are the perfect size and lovely because they are round. They should be easy to find in most markets, but if you can't, you can also cut larger fresh mozzarella into small pieces.
- And of course fruit appetizers on toothpicks can be made with all sorts of fruits. Strawberries, raspberries, grapes, melon cubes, and so on. Have fun with it!
Can you make them ahead?
- Yes, you can make these ahead of time. Up to six hours ahead.
- However early you make them, be sure to place the bacon and mint leaf between the cherry and the cheese -- otherwise the cherry will bleed onto it. (Just an aesthetic thing -- it'll be delicious in any order!)
- Store them in the refrigerator until about 15 minutes before you're ready to serve. Save the last step, which is drizzling them with orange juice, for the last moment.
Fruit appetizers on toothpicks are a great start to the menu for any summer barbecue. These mini fruit skewers would be lovely followed by any of the following:
- Watermelon Basil Salad
- Grilled Mediterranean Flank Steak
- Fresh Lemon Pepper Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Strawberry Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mini Fruit Skewers Recipe
- 1 dozen toothpicks
- 6 cherries, washed and dried, pitted and sliced in half
- 1 dozen small mint leaves, washed and dried
- 1 strip applewood smoked bacon, cooked cut into 12 small pieces
- 1 dozen fresh little mozzarella pearls (see notes)
- 1 dozen blueberries, washed and dried
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- Place all of the cherry halves on a clean, dry surface and then add a mint leaf to each one, followed by a piece of bacon and a mozzarella pearl. Now add the blueberries with the toothpick and press it gently through to the bottom.
- Drizzle them lightly with the orange juice and serve!
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Very creative combination. GREG
Thank you, my friend. 🙂
My pregnancy cravings and I thank you for this recipe. Bless you! 🙂
So happy to help, Sarah. 😉 Hope you enjoy!
This is probably the most unusual combination I have come across in a while. Yet, somehow, I can taste them all on my tongue as perfect compliments for one another. Brava!
Somehow it's all delicious together! 🙂
David Scott Allen
It’s the bacon that makes it! 🥓🥓🥓
It does add a wonderful smoky flavor that's so delicious with the sweet fruit.Thanks, David! Cheers, Valentina
Such a perfect little bite for 4th of July! Bacon with cherry.. YUM!
Thanks so much! I hope you try them and enjoy. Happy early 4th. 🙂 ~Valentina
What a delectable appetizer!!! Sweet, salty, creamy, crisp! So much yumminess in every bite. Plus they're beautiful, too.
Many thanks, Liz. I love all of the textures, too. 🙂 Enjoy! ~Valentina
Jeff the Chef
So many red, white, and blue items are sweet. It's nice to have a savory one. And a really delicious looking one at that.
Many thanks, Jeff! Yep, I love the natural sweetness (& colors) of the fruit. 🙂 ~Valentina
Oh my! The red, white and blue theme is so fabulous in these summer kebabs!
Thanks, Deb. Yes, it's a fun one. 🙂 ~Valentina
I can taste the different combinations and the colors are so appropriate.
Thanks, Gerlinde! 😀
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop
What a fun appetizer and so perfect for the 4th! I love the combination of the savory bacon and the pop of sweetness with the blueberry! These would disappear quickly with my crew!
Thanks, Kathy! Wishing you and your family a happy 4th! ~Valentina
David @ Spiced
What a great idea for a summer party, Valentina! I love a good caprese salad, and bacon really does make everything better. I'm intrigued by the blueberry in there, but I can totally see how it works. You're getting an invite to our next party! 🙂
Thanks for sharing all them mouth watering recipes!
I may have already commented, but these are still on my list for an easy, gorgeous, and tasty summer appetizer!!
Thanks so much, Liz! Enjoy. 🙂 ~Valentina
Oh my goodness, these are the cutest little apps!! I'm such a huge fan of sweet and savoury combos so I'm loving these with the blueberries, cherries and bacon. I know these would disappear in a flash. Perfect summertime treat right there!!
Hi Dawn. Thanks so much! 🙂 ~Valentina