That pretty much describes my cooking — and this cobbler. Don’t think for a minute comfort foods are limited to fall and winter. This cozy, delicious dish is both the essence of summer and comfort.
And equally so as a dessert after dinner. Add a touch of cream and enjoy this dreamy cobbler anytime!
I just love the way it sort of looks like a “mess.” It bubbles over the sides of the pan, and the crust is sort of haphazardly shaped and uneven.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1¼ cup golden brown sugar, divided
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (see notes below)
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup low-fat or whole milk
- 3 cups fresh, sliced peaches, washed, dried and skin on (about ½-inch slices)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the melted butter into an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup of the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Once the dry ingredients are well blended, add the milk and stir.
- Evenly pour the mixture on top of the melted butter in your baking pan, and do not stir.
- Arrange the peaches and blueberries evenly on top of the batter.
- Sprinkle the entire top surface with the remaining ½ cup of brown sugar.
- Place the baking pan on a baking sheet (just in case it bubbles over), and bake until it's golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Let the cobbler sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm and drizzle each serving with a bit of the cream.