This salad is an explosion of spicy, sweet, fresh, and mind-blowingly delicious flavors!This salad began with an invitation to a Super Bowl party and a big bowl of Cara Cara oranges. Yep, that’s what it took to get this creation going.
The sweet, super juicy oranges were begging for a spicy wasabi dressing, and with a container of pickled ginger in the refrigerator, it quickly took on an Asian vibe.
So when it came to the crunch — an element I think all salads should have — I created the recipe for Spicy Crispy Fried Rice, which completed it perfectly.In my totally biased, yet humble opinion, this might just be the most unique and most delicious salad I’ve ever made.
I hope you’ll give it a go.
- 1½ tablespoons wasabi paste
- 3½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 medium-large blood oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds (about ¼-inch thick)
- 2 medium-large oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds (about ¼-inch thick)
- 1 small ruby grapefruit, peeled and sliced into rounds (about ¼-inch thick)
- 1 large head Butter lettuce, washed, dried & roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 thinly sliced scallions, white and green portions
- ¼ cup packed, fresh mint leaves, washed, dried & stems removed (roughly chopped if they're big)
- ¼ cup packed pickled ginger, drained & roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (here's How to Peel & Cut Avocados)
- 1 cup Crispy Spicy Fried Rice (the recipe is here)
- Add the wasabi, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk it together. Gradually add the oil while whisking, and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
I used Cara Cara oranges -- the are my first choice for this recipe, but if you can't find them, Naval oranges are great, too.