This salad is an explosion of spicy, sweet, fresh, and mind-blowingly delicious flavors!This salad began with an invitation to a Super Bowl party and a big bowl of Cara Cara oranges (pictured below) Yep, that’s what it took to get this creation going.
So when it came to the crunch — an element I think all salads should have — I created the recipe for Spicy Crispy Fried Rice, which completed it perfectly.In my totally biased, yet humble opinion, this might just be the most unique and most delicious salad I’ve ever made.
I hope you’ll give it a go.
Pickled Ginger-Citrus Salad with Creamy Wasabi Dressing and Spicy Crispy Fried Rice
For the dressing (see notes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wasabi paste
- 3 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grape seed oil
For the salad
- 2 medium-large blood oranges peeled and sliced into rounds (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 medium-large oranges peeled and sliced into rounds (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 small ruby grapefruit peeled and sliced into rounds (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 large head Butter lettuce washed, dried & roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 thinly sliced scallions white and green portions
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves, washed, dried & stems removed (roughly chopped if they're big)
- 1/4 cup packed pickled ginger drained & roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (here's How to Peel & Cut Avocados)
- 1 cup Crispy Spicy Fried Rice the recipe is here
For the dressing
- Add the wasabi, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk it together. Gradually add the oil while whisking, and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
Recipe NotesThe amounts of dressing people like to use on salads differ, so this recipes should make more than you need.
I used Cara Cara oranges -- the are my first choice for this recipe, but if you can't find them, Naval oranges are great, too.