Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Lemon is a delicious and refreshing summer lunch or side salad that's great with almost anything. With the addition of unexpected lemon segments mixed into it, it's a very unique crowd pleaser.While we can certainly get tomatoes year-round, there's no question that they are best during the summer months -- at least in the U.S.
During the summer, tomatoes are so incredibly flavorful -- they're sweet, tart and tangy all at once. When they're this delicious, you can just bite into them, like you would apples!
I use them as much as possible in the summertime, and this is one of my favorite salads where they are the star ingredient.
(Here's much more about tomatoes, including variety descriptions.)
What really sets this tomato and cucumber salad apart is that the lemon isn't just juiced into it. It's added in segments (or Supremes).
When to Serve This Salad
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad is a lovely vegan side salad for dinner and a fantastic light lunch. When I serve it for lunch I do so with a rustic bread and make it into a sandwich.
- Easy to make for a crowd, I love it for a picnic or to bring to a get together.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- If you'd like to turn this into a heartier main course salad, and you're not vegetarian or vegan, add a protein -- like chicken or tuna.
- You can use any fresh herbs you like. If you don't have basil or don't care for it, dill or oregano would also work well. I like to use whole basil leaves if they're small. If not, I roughly chop them.
- You can slice the cucumbers and tomatoes any way you'd like to. I prefer the thin slices since I like adding it to sandwiches.
- The segments of lemon can be too sour of a bite for some. When the salad is mixed, they tend to break apart and turn to juice, blending with the dressing. That said, use a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice instead if you prefer.
More delicious tomato and cucumber recipes:
Tomato and Cucumber Salad Recipe with Lemon
- ½ pound lemons, cut into segments/supremes -- click here for How to Cut Citrus Supremes (about ¼ cup)
- 1¼ pounds tomatoes, washed and dried, thinly slices (about 3½ cups)
- ¾ pound cucumber, peeled, sliced into rounds (about 2 cups)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced onion (red or yellow)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves washed and dried, roughly chopped or left whole if small)
- 2 tablespoons white or dark balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the lemons. Here's how to cut the lemons into pretty segments. Be sure to save the scraps to use later to drizzle any excess juice over the salad.
- Combine the salad ingredients. In a large serving bowl, combine the lemon segments, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil.
- Add the dressing and serve. Drizzle the salad with any excess lemon juice from the scraps. (Use as much or as little as you'd like.) Then drizzle with the vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Toss, and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Here's How.) Serve cold.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.