Tortilla Chip Crusted Chicken Strips are succulent, gluten-free and are served with Honey-Lime Crema -- a refreshing, zesty sauce. This will always draw a crowd and is an excellent party snack.
Tortilla Chip Crusted Chicken Strips are a fantastic gluten-free lunch or dinner. They're loved by kids and adults alike.
Kids sure do love chicken strips -- or, as they often call them, chicken fingers.
This recipe is loved by all because of the added spices and the use of tortilla chips. It's more interesting and more flavorful than typical chicken strips.
How to Make Them
These are so easy, that they might just become you're go-to chicken recipe.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and then press them into a mixture of crushed tortilla chips and delicious spices.
- Drizzle tortilla chip crusted chicken with a little olive oil and bake in the oven.
What's in the Sauce?
Honey-Lime Crema is the perfect accompaniment to the chicken. It's also super easy as all you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together.
- Crema Mexicana (You can use sour cream as a substitute -- see recipe notes.)
- salt, pepper, chili powder
(Detailed instructions are below.)
I hope you enjoy these Spiced Tortilla Chip Crusted Chicken Strips with Honey-Lime Crema as much as I do.
More gluten-free crusted chicken recipes:
- Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken
- Gluten-Free Quinoa Crusted Chicken
- Gluten-Free Cracker Crusted Chicken
This is not a sponsored post.
Spiced Tortilla Chip Crusted Chicken Strips
For the chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 4 cups corn tortilla chips
- 2 teaspoons chile powder, mild to medium, depending on how much heat you like
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
For the Honey-Lime Crema
- 1 cup Crema Mexicana*
- zest of 2 small limes (plus extra for garnish if desired)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chile power for garnish if desired
For the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and adjust a rack to the center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- On a clean, dry surface, use a boning or paring knife to remove any excess fat from the chicken breasts, and then cut them into 1 to 2-inch strips, lengthwise. Set aside.
- Add the chips to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Blend until the chips are very tiny, coarse pieces. Add the chile powder, cumin and salt and blend until they're evenly incorporated. (If you don't have a food processor, you can add the chips to a heavy-duty, zip-lock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Then mix in the spices.)
- Add the chip mixture to a very large plate, and season both sides of the chicken strips with salt and pepper. Then place them, a couple at a time, on the chip mixture, pressing them down firmly. Flip them over and firmly press down again. You want both sides very well coated with the mixture. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet as you work, continuing until all of the strips are done.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and place in the preheated 375°F oven just until they're cooked through, about 12 minutes. If some of the chicken strips are thicker, they'll likely need to be flipped over, for an additional few minutes of baking time.
For the creama
- While the chicken is baking, add the crema, lime zest, lime juice and honey to a small bowl and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper), and then spoon this into a small serving bowl, or 6 tiny individual bowls. If desired, garnish the crema with a bit more lime zest and a sprinkle of chile powder.
Looks super crispy. love that the coating is gluten-free!
Thanks, Sylvie! My oldest son (12) has Celiac Disease, so I'm always experimenting with new GF recipes. 🙂
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
I really, really, really want to make this for my kids tonight.
I hope you try the recipe. Both my kids love it! 🙂
Oh my gosh I want to eat that right now!
Do it! 😉
These look and sounds absolutely amazing! I can't wait to try this recipe out - I'm positive they'll be a hit!
Hope you love it, Sarah. Thank you!
How delicious do these look?!?! The grandkids would love them!!
My kids loved it, Felesha. Hope it's a hit! 🙂
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
Yeah, I really, REALLY want that for dinner. Every bit of it.
It's yummy, Dorothy. (IMHO, of course!) 😉
That looks and sounds great!
That is what I am going to make for Dinner tonight?
Thank you ! ?
Yay! I hope you love it as much as I do, Rosalia. Thanks for visiting my site! XOXO
An amazing chicken recipe! I'm thinking these chicken strips would be wonderful with a big green salad for scrumptious dinner.
I agree, Deb. Perfect with some leafy greens!
Sophia @Veggies Don't Bite
Love that the crisp is the tortilla chips!! I thought I was the only obsessed chip fan. LOL! It gives the perfect crunch!
Thanks, Sophia! 😀
I don't typically eat chicken strips, but your post and photos really make me want to! And kudos for the encouragement in being authentic... I find that is so important!
Thanks so much, Tamara. I so appreciate it. 🙂
I love how you added tortilla chips! The tenders look super crispy and yummy!
Thanks so much Diana!
This is total comfort food! That crema sounds so good!
Comforting indeed! 🙂 Thank you.
Sherri @ Watch Learn Eat
I definitely need to try this! The kids (and the parents) would love these! So excited that they're gluten free!! Awesome recipe! 🙂
Thank you, Sherri. Hope your kids like them as much as mine do. 🙂
Jolina - The Unlikely Baker
I totally agree on authenticity. It's exhausting to be otherwise isn't it? Now on to these delicious chicken strips. They look gorgeous. I wish I had them for dinner tonight! Unfortunately I already had dinner 🙁 But I just pinned this for later!
Yay! Thanks for pinning! 🙂
I think these would make a wonderful appetizer for a cocktail party. Especially here in the Southwest! I'm hosting a small cocktail party for my alma mater in early May, just after Cinco de Mayo. Don't you think these would be perfect on the buffet table?
Why yes I do! And yo can certainly make them as small as you'd like for easier handling -- you know, with a cocktail in one hand, a napkin, etc. Sounds fun! Thanks, David! 🙂
This is such a fun idea, and I can imagine gives both a great flavor and crunch. The crema sounds tasty too.
It does! Thank you Caroline. 🙂
Love everything about these chicken strips! That Honey-Lime Crema sounds ahhmazing!
These look delicious and kid friendly!!
They are. 🙂
This would be an EXCELLENT way to use up all those little tortilla chip crumbs that are left at the bottom of the bag. Thank you for this idea.
I know, right!? Thank you for checking it out. 🙂
I am always looking for a new chicken recipe and I love the Mexican flavors of this dish. and the crema sounds super tasty. This is a must try.
Thanks for the kinds words Jere. I hope you try and love the recipe. 🙂