Using next to no oil, this Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken is crispy on the outside, and juicy on the inside, and it’s chock-full of delicious, fresh flavors!
This is a sponsored post brought to you by GoWISE USA. All opinions are my own, based on my experience with the product. Thank you for supporting my sponsors, who help make Cooking On The Weekends possible.
I work with – and love – traditional cooking equipment and methods.
So when I was given a GoWISE USA Air Fryer (the Touch Screen 3.7-Quart 7-in-1), I was a bit skeptical. I hadn’t ever tried cooking in an air fryer before, but I was intrigued because I’d just heard, via the Huffington Post, that Air Frying was going to be one of the top cooking trends in 2018.
How does the air fryer work?
- Air fryers have a fan that circulates hot air around the food at a high speed. The combination of this rapid air, and targeted heat, the air fryer cooks foods quickly and efficiently.
How is an air fryer different than a convection oven?
- Air fryers have a smaller area where food is held, and the air circulates at a higher speed than in a convection oven. Therefore, in an air fryer, it takes less time to cook foods.
Ingredients for Lemon Fried Chicken: corn meal, pepper, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic powder, lemon zest and salt.
What can you cook in an air fryer?
- Almost anything — from bacon and rack of lamb, to cakes and pizza. It’s not just for “fried” foods!
While it’s possible to cook a variety of foods in the air fryer, my goal was to make something that’s normally cooked in oil, by deep frying and have it taste really good!
I’m happy to report that my Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken was not only really good — it was delicious!
When I hit “start” on the screen, I wondered if the chicken would actually look and taste fried.
Honestly, I was a bit surprised when I saw how crispy the “crust” became. And even more so when I cut into the chicken to find it very juicy — super succulent, in fact.
What are the benefits to Cooking in the Air Fryer?
- Generally, 75% to 80% less oil is required. (In the case of my Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken recipe, about 90% less!) I found that the best way to use a minimal amount of oil in the air fryer is to use a spray. I used an olive oil spray, which worked perfectly to evenly coat the basket and food.
- It’s incredibly easy to clean.
- There’s no preheating, and cooking times are fast.
When I set the cooking time and temperature, I felt like I was taking a risk because I rarely put exact times on my recipes. I say, “about” followed by the estimated time. (Things are done when they’re done, not when a certain amount of time is up.)
However, when I was making my Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken, I used the Chicken Preset, and it came out perfectly! I’d been expecting to have to play around with the time, but I didn’t.
Did the air fryer know how thick it was? How much it weighed? I can’t tell you for sure, but what I can tell you is that for 2, 8 to 10-ounce, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, the Preset Chicken time and temperature of 20 minutes at 400°F, was spot on.
- It’s small enough to sit on the counter or be stored without taking up too much room. (Mine fits perfectly on a shelf in the pantry.)
- It has 2 removable parts, and both are dishwasher safe, but I found there’s no need because they clean up so easily and quickly int he sink.
- It comes with a small book of air fryer recipes.
- There are 7 Presets: Fries/Chips, Meat, Shrimp, Cake, Chicken, Steak, Snacks and Fish.
Side note: I’ve also been making bacon in the air fryer. Sure it’s greasy in and of itself — but all of the fat drips into the pot (lined with foil for easy clean-up) as it drains through the basket. It comes out just as crispy as it does in a pan, but without the mess or need to drain it on paper towels before serving.
And now, let’s try the oh-so-delicious Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken recipe!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience at no additional cost to you.
Using next to no oil, this Air Fryer Gluten-Free Lemon Fried Chicken is crispy on the outside, and juicy on the inside, and it's chock-full of delicious, fresh flavors!
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 2 tablspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flou
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large (approximately 10-ounce) chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- olive oil cooking spray
Add the corn meal, lemon zest, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to a large, shallow bowl. Mix to blend evenly and set aside.
Add the flour to a second large, shallow bowl, and the egg to a third.
Sprinkle the chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper, and one at a time, coat them with the flour lightly and evenly. Then dip them into the egg, being sure they’re well coated. Now place each breast on top of the corn meal mixture and gently press down so that it adheres to it, and do the same thing on the other side, and edges.
Remove the basket from the pot of the air fryer, and line the pot with foil. Return the basket and spray the bottom of it with the olive oil. Place the coated chicken breasts in the basket and then spray the top surface with the olive oil.
For the GoWISE USA Air Fryer, use the Preset Chicken setting for 20 minutes at 400° F.
Let the air fryer cool down and wait for the indicator that it’s ready to open.
I used cornmeal in my recipe, to keep in gluten-free, so my son with Celiac could try it. (He loved it!) You can use gluten-free bread crumbs also, and of course, any breadcrumbs you’d like to. If keeping it gluten-free isn’t important, I’d suggest Panko.
Here’s the GoWISE USA Touch Screen 3.7-Quart 7-in-1 Air Fryer:
One lucky person will win a GoWISE USA Touch Screen 3.7-Quart 7-in-1 Air Fryer! Simply enter the Rafflecopter giveaway below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway