Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies {Gluten-Free}

by valentina on October 17, 2011

I have a little secret for you.  Are you on the edge of your seat?  Well, I wish I could tell you it’s a juicy secret.

Remember my husband’s birthday party last weekend?  The “featured” dessert was a plate of Spicy Mayan Chocolate Truffles to go with the Mexican Food Fest theme.  They were delicious, interesting, and everyone loved them.  However, it was the other plate — of Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies – that was left completely empty, without even a crumb!

While your guests might think you spent a lot of time on these crazy good, sweet creations, you’ll know that the 4-ingredient cookies only took you about 15 minutes to make!

Really, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t make these right away!  Okay, so maybe you have to run out for the Nutella?  Get it in time for the weekend and make a big batch.  If you’re not up for a full dinner party, invite a few friends over for dessert – or for a delightful latté-cookie afternoon break.  Invite me!  I’ll be there!

Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Yield: Makes about 4-1/2 dozen

2 cups Nutella

2 egg whites

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Use a fork to blend the Nutella with the egg whites. Once that's fully incorporated, mix in the cocoa flour, followed by the chocolate chips.
  3. Use a 1-1/4-inch ice cream scoop (or teaspoons) to shape the cookies into balls of batter, placing them on the parchment-lined baking sheets as you go. There should be about 15 per sheet, with about 2 inches between them.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are almost dry, about 8 to 10 minutes. It's okay (in fact, it's great) if they are still a bit doughy -- they'll continue to cook a bit out of the oven. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool them at least until they are room temperature before serving.

mary jo October 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Dear Valentina, My husband is starting to ask me where I am getting all these great new ideas! Living in a kosher home, I had to substitue the pancetta in your quinoa recipe with sausages grilled. Ran out of balsamic vinegar, so I tried sherry vinegar in your tomato vinagrette. He thinks I have been watching the food channel. Can’t wait to try the gluten free cookies….I would have supposed that you would substitue the flour with a flour substitue? But, you use unsweetened cocoa powder. I guess that is why you are the chef! Love your web page!

valentina October 18, 2011 at 3:40 am

Mary Jo, I so appreciate your kind, thoughtful comments! And I’m so happy you’re cooking so much! Lovin’ it!

mike October 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Made these because my twin niece and nephew were over today. Mine turned out a bit flat, but they’re still darn tasty.

tracy November 2, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hi there…these look fantastic! Quick question – should the egg whites be beaten before mixing with the Nutella?

valentina November 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Thanks, Tracy! No need to blend the whites first — just add them in and make sure they’re fully incorporated into the Nutella! Enjoy! :-)

Melissa Loh November 3, 2011 at 1:25 am

Ooooo, that looks so yum and simple! I wonder if my hubby will let me scoop out that much from his Nutella jar. :p

Cassandra November 3, 2011 at 2:06 am

Oh! I have to make these for my coworkers. They love hazelnut and chocolate!

Matt Wrench November 3, 2011 at 5:35 am

You are my savior! I’ve been craving cookies tonight, but didn’t have any butter or brown sugar (and I’m way to lazy to go to the store at this time of night). Fortunately I have all this. To the kitchen!

valentina November 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Matt, hope you loved your late night snack!

Kris November 9, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Hello! I made these bc my cousin posted it on FB and I’ve been drooling over them for about a week!!! OMG! So good!!!! =) I put milk chocolate chip cookies in bc my fiance really doesn’t like the semi sweet and I sized them as regular cookies. When my fiance and I bit into them, I then realized why you make them smaller!!!! Still, so good!!! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!!!

valentina November 9, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Kris, so happy they were a hit! :-D

Iqa November 24, 2011 at 5:54 am

I would love to try this recipe but is it possible for you to convert the cups into grams as I don’t have any measurement in cups.
Thanks.

valentina November 24, 2011 at 6:24 am

1 cup =about 226.4 grams. Enjoy! :-)

Andrew November 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thank you so much!

Vivian December 13, 2011 at 1:14 am

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I made them with white chocolate chips and they are definately one of the best cookies I have ever had!

valentina December 14, 2011 at 4:57 am

Vivian, I’m so happy you had success with these! Love that you loved them!

Valerie December 16, 2011 at 2:54 am

I’m thinking of trying half flour and half cocoa powder. How do you think that would work?

valentina December 16, 2011 at 3:25 am

I haven’t tried them that way so I’m not exactly sure how they’ll turn out — my favorite is just with the cocoa powder. :-)

Kim December 28, 2011 at 6:15 am

Hi, I really want to make this, but I do not eat anything with eggs…what can I use iinstead of the eggs.

valentina December 28, 2011 at 6:23 am

Hi, Kim — Silken Tofu is a good egg substitute in vegan baking. It’s usually about 3 tablespoons of tofu to 1 egg. To substitute the 2 egg whites in this recipe, I’d try using 3 to 4 tablespoons. I have never tried this so I’m not sure how it will work — please let me know. You could also try mashed banana, but only if you’ll like a touch of the banana flavor. Happy New Year! :-)

Jessica December 31, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I plan on making this my dessert for my hubby and me tonight :)
If I wanted to cut this recipe in half would it be:
1 cup nutella
1 egg white
1 cup semi-sweet chips
1/4 coca powder?

Thanks!

valentina December 31, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Hi, Jessica, yes exactly. I hope he loves them!!! xo Happy New Year!

Alaa January 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi,
I want to ask you what kind of coca powder I have to use?dark or regular? can you please tell me what did you used?

Regards,

valentina January 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Hi Alaa — For this recipe, as long as it’s unsweetened it doesn’t really make too big of a difference if it’s dark or light. I typically have Scharffen Berger’s natural unsweetened in my pantry, and that’s what I used for these cookies. Enjoy! :-)

Diana January 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hi, 2 cups Nutella = how many grams?

valentina January 28, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hi, Diana — 2 cups Nutella is approximately 450 grams. Cheers! :-)

Eric February 17, 2012 at 2:36 am

We loved these!!!! Jan is planning to use the recipe to make more.

valentina February 20, 2012 at 6:33 am

Eric — I’m thrilled you’ll be having these cookies again! Yay! :-)

Cassandra March 10, 2012 at 6:54 am

Hi Valentina,
I would just like to thank you for this awesome recipe. My daughter, husband and I all love them. These are the best cookies I have ever had. I noticed some people had a problem with them flattening out, and I did a little at the beginning also. After making them a few more times and playing around, I’ve found a way to stop them from flattening out without changing the recipe (For the GF version at least, but I’m sure it would work for the flour version also). I just roll them around in my hands before I put them on the baking sheet. They still turn out gooey and delicious. I find that I have to cook them a bit longer though, it could be because my oven is older. I cook mine for 12 minutes. Again, thank you for this awesome recipe. :)

valentina March 11, 2012 at 1:27 am

Cassandra, thank you so much for your comment! I love that you and your family have been loving these yummy cookies! Thanks for the rolling tip, too! I so appreciate you following my blog and sharing your thoughts. xo Valentina

Jan McCauley March 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

Hi Valentina !!!!
When you brought these cookies over (when your niece was born) …I had to try them
myself. Your brother in law introduced me to your blog…so I am exploring your charming and creative site. Not being a “facebook” fan.. this is a perfect compromise for me…the “blog-o-sphere”. Thanks for sharing this incredible and addicting recipe!!!

valentina February 17, 2013 at 7:52 am

Jan — thank you for exploring my blog! :-) xo

Sara May 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Hi,
This recipe looks great! I was just wondering how long these would last for? In terms of expiring date.
Thanks!

valentina May 11, 2012 at 1:28 am

Hi Sara, These cookies are great in an airtight container for about 3 days. (Still yummy after that, just not as fresh tasting.) You can also freeze them in an airtight container (ideally wrapped in plastic or in a zip lock bag), for up 3 to 4 weeks. Hope this helps, and thanks for hanging out on my blog with me! :-)

Dawn Plew October 1, 2012 at 1:23 am

Hi Valentina, Thanks for this quick and yummy recipe!! I’m having a friend over for dinner who can’t eat gluten…these made it special :)

valentina October 1, 2012 at 4:18 am

Hi Dawn! Yay! So happy you made these! xoxo

jb December 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Made these with hazelnut paste (haselnöt massa) that I picked up in Sweden. Delicious and so fast. thank you.

valentina December 25, 2013 at 4:58 am

Oh that sounds so good! So happy you loved them. Happy Holidays!