Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies {Gluten-Free}

I have a little secret for you.  Are you on the edge of your seat?  Well, I wish I could tell you it’s a juicy secret.

Remember my husband’s birthday party last weekend?  The “featured” dessert was a plate of Spicy Mayan Chocolate Truffles to go with the Mexican Food Fest theme.  They were delicious, interesting, and everyone loved them.  However, it was the other plate — of Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies – that was left completely empty, without even a crumb!

While your guests might think you spent a lot of time on these crazy good, sweet creations, you’ll know that the 4-ingredient cookies only took you about 15 minutes to make!

Really, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t make these right away!  Okay, so maybe you have to run out for the Nutella?  Get it in time for the weekend and make a big batch.  If you’re not up for a full dinner party, invite a few friends over for dessert – or for a delightful latté-cookie afternoon break.  Invite me!  I’ll be there!

Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Yield: Makes about 4-1/2 dozen

2 cups Nutella

2 egg whites

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Use a fork to blend the Nutella with the egg whites. Once that's fully incorporated, mix in the cocoa flour, followed by the chocolate chips.
  3. Use a 1-1/4-inch ice cream scoop (or teaspoons) to shape the cookies into balls of batter, placing them on the parchment-lined baking sheets as you go. There should be about 15 per sheet, with about 2 inches between them.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are almost dry, about 8 to 10 minutes. It's okay (in fact, it's great) if they are still a bit doughy -- they'll continue to cook a bit out of the oven. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool them at least until they are room temperature before serving.

Comments

1. mary jo says

Dear Valentina, My husband is starting to ask me where I am getting all these great new ideas! Living in a kosher home, I had to substitue the pancetta in your quinoa recipe with sausages grilled. Ran out of balsamic vinegar, so I tried sherry vinegar in your tomato vinagrette. He thinks I have been watching the food channel. Can’t wait to try the gluten free cookies….I would have supposed that you would substitue the flour with a flour substitue? But, you use unsweetened cocoa powder. I guess that is why you are the chef! Love your web page!

• valentina says

Mary Jo, I so appreciate your kind, thoughtful comments! And I’m so happy you’re cooking so much! Lovin’ it!

2. mike says

Made these because my twin niece and nephew were over today. Mine turned out a bit flat, but they’re still darn tasty.

3. tracy says

Hi there…these look fantastic! Quick question – should the egg whites be beaten before mixing with the Nutella?

• valentina says

Thanks, Tracy! No need to blend the whites first — just add them in and make sure they’re fully incorporated into the Nutella! Enjoy! :-)

4. says

You are my savior! I’ve been craving cookies tonight, but didn’t have any butter or brown sugar (and I’m way to lazy to go to the store at this time of night). Fortunately I have all this. To the kitchen!

5. Kris says

Hello! I made these bc my cousin posted it on FB and I’ve been drooling over them for about a week!!! OMG! So good!!!! =) I put milk chocolate chip cookies in bc my fiance really doesn’t like the semi sweet and I sized them as regular cookies. When my fiance and I bit into them, I then realized why you make them smaller!!!! Still, so good!!! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!!!

6. Iqa says

I would love to try this recipe but is it possible for you to convert the cups into grams as I don’t have any measurement in cups.
    Thanks.

7. Vivian says

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I made them with white chocolate chips and they are definately one of the best cookies I have ever had!

• valentina says

I haven’t tried them that way so I’m not exactly sure how they’ll turn out — my favorite is just with the cocoa powder. :-)

• valentina says

Hi, Kim — Silken Tofu is a good egg substitute in vegan baking. It’s usually about 3 tablespoons of tofu to 1 egg. To substitute the 2 egg whites in this recipe, I’d try using 3 to 4 tablespoons. I have never tried this so I’m not sure how it will work — please let me know. You could also try mashed banana, but only if you’ll like a touch of the banana flavor. Happy New Year! :-)

8. Jessica says

I plan on making this my dessert for my hubby and me tonight :)
    If I wanted to cut this recipe in half would it be:
    1 cup nutella
    1 egg white
    1 cup semi-sweet chips
    1/4 coca powder?

Thanks!

9. Alaa says

Hi,
    I want to ask you what kind of coca powder I have to use?dark or regular? can you please tell me what did you used?

Regards,

• valentina says

Hi Alaa — For this recipe, as long as it’s unsweetened it doesn’t really make too big of a difference if it’s dark or light. I typically have Scharffen Berger’s natural unsweetened in my pantry, and that’s what I used for these cookies. Enjoy! :-)

10. Cassandra says

Hi Valentina,
    I would just like to thank you for this awesome recipe. My daughter, husband and I all love them. These are the best cookies I have ever had. I noticed some people had a problem with them flattening out, and I did a little at the beginning also. After making them a few more times and playing around, I’ve found a way to stop them from flattening out without changing the recipe (For the GF version at least, but I’m sure it would work for the flour version also). I just roll them around in my hands before I put them on the baking sheet. They still turn out gooey and delicious. I find that I have to cook them a bit longer though, it could be because my oven is older. I cook mine for 12 minutes. Again, thank you for this awesome recipe. :)

• valentina says

Cassandra, thank you so much for your comment! I love that you and your family have been loving these yummy cookies! Thanks for the rolling tip, too! I so appreciate you following my blog and sharing your thoughts. xo Valentina

11. Jan McCauley says

Hi Valentina !!!!
    When you brought these cookies over (when your niece was born) …I had to try them
    myself. Your brother in law introduced me to your blog…so I am exploring your charming and creative site. Not being a “facebook” fan.. this is a perfect compromise for me…the “blog-o-sphere”. Thanks for sharing this incredible and addicting recipe!!!

12. Sara says

Hi,
    This recipe looks great! I was just wondering how long these would last for? In terms of expiring date.
    Thanks!

• valentina says

Hi Sara, These cookies are great in an airtight container for about 3 days. (Still yummy after that, just not as fresh tasting.) You can also freeze them in an airtight container (ideally wrapped in plastic or in a zip lock bag), for up 3 to 4 weeks. Hope this helps, and thanks for hanging out on my blog with me! :-)

13. Dawn Plew says

Hi Valentina, Thanks for this quick and yummy recipe!! I’m having a friend over for dinner who can’t eat gluten…these made it special :)