Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup-Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Recipe

by valentina on July 11, 2011

Question: What’s better than a Rice Krispie Treat?

Answer: A chocolate Rice Krispie treat!

And what’s better than a chocolate Rice Krispie Treat?

A Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup-Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat!

Oh my!  These treats are insanely good! No, really . . . insanely good!

They’re creamy on the inside, crispy on the outside, and chocolaty and peanut buttery all over!

That pretty much sums it up.  Please make them so you can experience their deliciousness!

Makes 2 dozen treats
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus about 2 teaspoons to grease the pans
2-1/4 cups marshmallows
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3-3/4 cups rice cereal (I use Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice, Gluten-Free)
24 mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Lightly grease two mini muffin pans (1 dozen each) or one mini muffin pan (2 dozen each) with the 2 teaspoons of butter, and unwrap the peanut butter cups. Set aside.

In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter with the marshmallows.  Stir in the cocoa powder and blend.  Turn off the heat, add the cereal, and stir to coat completely.

Let the cereal mixture cool only until you can touch it.  It has to be somewhat warm to form the treats.  Divide the mixture fairly evenly amongst the muffin pans, adding some into each muffin “cup” — just enough to form a layer about 1/4-inch thick on the bottom and sides.  Before you move on, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place a peanut butter cup into each cereal “shell” you’ve made.

Then use a flat-bottomed, metal spatula to firmly press down on each one — this will ensure the peanut butter cup fills all the tiny crevices.

Now you can evenly divide the chocolate chips on top of each treat.  Pop the pan(s) in the oven just long enough to melt the chocolate chips, about 4 minutes.  As soon as they come out of the oven, use a small, flat spreading knife to smooth the melted chocolate to coat the surface of each treat.

Let set at room temperature for at least an hour before serving.  (To firm the top up more quickly, place in the refrigerator for about ten minutes.)

Print recipe.

Judy July 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm

They look like fun to eat and make, but is that 2-1/4 marshmallows or 2-1/4 CUPS of marshmallows?

valentina July 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Judy, thanks for noticing that detail! Yes, it’s “cups!” I updated it in the recipe, too. Enjoy!!!

timothy July 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Are these Gluten Free

valentina May 20, 2012 at 6:01 am

Quyen - Kitchen Runway July 27, 2011 at 6:56 am

Um… seriously – I’m going to have to make these soon! I think I’m in love! I love rice krispy treats and Reese’s peanut butter cups – so this recipes is awesome!

Janet Van Ryswyk November 18, 2012 at 4:25 am

these look really yummy. I hate to cook or bake but this recipe looks easy enough even for me and what is more important is that it sounds delicious. I love peanut butter and chocolate.

Troy March 24, 2013 at 2:28 am

Just made a batch of these. There was a decent amount of rice crispy treat mix left to make a few chocolate rice crispy treats. I love this recipe. They’re amazing, Now I just need to hide them from myself.

valentina March 24, 2013 at 5:15 am

Thanks so much, Troy. I hide these from myself too — actually I have someone else hide them. ;-) Thanks for visiting my site and checking out my recipes!

Thomas August 29, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Valentina,

Can other cereal be substituted, like Cocoa Puffs, for a real chocolaty delight? I know of Cocoa Pebbles but I’m curious on Cocoa Puffs. Does it have to be “rice cereal” I guess is my question.

valentina August 29, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Hi Thomas, yes you can definitely use another cereal and does not have to be made with rice — really, any cereal mixed with melted marshmallow and butter will turn into a “treat.” That said, if you’re going to add the Reese’s PB Cup to the center, a cereal with tiny pieces will work the best. Cheers and happy baking/cooking! :-)