Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies are super quick and easy to make with only four ingredients. They're incredibly delicious and gluten-free to boot.
Sometimes I buy a bag of trail mix just for the chocolate. I mean, c'mon who doesn't?
You know what I'm talking about, right?
Inspiration for Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies
A bag of trail mix is the healthier snack choice. I couldn't very well buy a bag of chocolate chips to snack on all day -- but trail mix, now that's a legitimate snack food.
And then sadly, I'm always left with a bag of nuts. Who wants just the nuts?
To avoid leftovers, I was inspired to make these cookies. 😉
What exactly is trail mix, anyway?
- Technically "trail mix" refers to a mix of bite-sized ingredients that travels well.
- Another name for trail mix is "gorp" which is said to be an acronym for "good old raisins and peanuts."
- Call it what you will, trail mix typically includes nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and often granola and chocolate.
- It's great for travel, especially for hiking and camping because no refrigeration is necessary.
Okay, on to the recipe . . .
Do you ever just really need a cookie?
That's a totally ridiculous question, I know.
Of course you just need a cookie sometimes. Who doesn't!?
If you've been following my blog, you know I'm someone who loves to spend hours cooking in the kitchen.
However, sometimes I really do just need a cookie! And fast. 😉
Enter Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies -- a stellar recipe for that purpose!
Four ingredients in Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies
Peanut butter, egg whites, sugar and a bag of your favorite trail mix. That's it!
Four ingredients, an oven, and a total of 25 minutes -- that's all it takes until you're eating these delicious cookies!
- In my professional opinion your trail mix must include chocolate! I used Sweet, Savory & Tart Trek Mix from Trader Joe's.
- FYI, these cookies are 100% gluten-free!
- I love these cookies when they're frozen. They become sort of like a candy bar. Frozen or not, enjoy every last crumb of these Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies!
More Scrumptious Peanut Butter Treats
Peanut Butter Trail Mix Cookies
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1¾ cups creamy, salted peanut butter
- 2 cups of your favorite trail mix (see notes)
- Prep the oven and pans. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the batter. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use a fork to blend the egg whites with the sugar. Then mix in the peanut butter until you have a smooth mixture. Fold in the trail mix and stir until it's incorporated into the dough evenly.
- Shape the cookies. Use a 2 inch cookie scoop or a couple of teaspoons to shape the batter, adding them parchment-lined baking sheets as you go. Gently flatten them down a bit with your hands. (These cookies shouldn't spread much, if at all.)
- Bake and cool. Bake in the preheated 350°F oven for approximately 10 to 12 minutes. They should still look a bit doughy when you remove them from the oven, and will solidify as they cool. Let the cookies cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet. Use a flat-bottomed metal spatula to move them to a cooling rack or a plate.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.