You know how you can’t stop eating a bowl of chocolate-covered pretzels? (I can only assume that happens to you, too.) Well, have you ever been served a salad you simply can’t stop eating — in the same way?!
I promise you, you’ll experience that with this Asparagus-Parmesan Salad! And so will your weekend guests! Every bite is a beautiful combination of textures and flavors– crisp, crunchy, soft, sweet, salty and tangy. Oh my!Did you add the sliced shallots to their marinade yet? For the Lime-Pickled Shallots? Those are an integral ingredient in this bundle of deliciousness!
- About ¾-pound asparagus
- About 3 ounces mixed baby greens, washed and dried
- ¾ cup Lime-Piclkled Shallots, drained
- ¾ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from shallot marinade if you have it)
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the tough bottom portion off of the asparagus spears -- this is usually about 3-inches or so. Then peel the asparagus and set up a steamer on the stove with water just beneath the rack. Bring the water in the steamer to a boil and place the peeled asparagus spears on the rack and cover. Steam to the desired doneness; the asparagus should be moist and tender, about 6 minutes. Drain the asparagus and "shock" it by placing it in a bowl of ice-water for about 3 minutes. This will stop it from cooking any further and help to keep the bright color. Then cut the spears in half, both vertically and horizontally.
- In a large mixing or serving bowl, toss the asparagus with the greens, shallots and cheese. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the lime juice with the mustard, honey and salt. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and season to taste with the pepper and more salt if necessary.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve at once!
up to 1 day and at least 10 minutes ahead: Steam and shock the asparagus.
up to 4 days and at least 5 minutes ahead: Make the dressing.
Just before serving: Toss the salad with the dressing.