I figured since we learned how to use fresh turmeric and take full advantage of it’s beauty, flavor and health benefits, we might as well cook with it all week.I hope you enjoyed the Vegan Tomato-Turmeric Cabbage Stew!
Spicy Turmeric-Coconut Basmati Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow/brown onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper seeds removed (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated turmeric here's How to Use Fresh Turmeric - see notes
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups coconut water
- Coat the bottom of a medium-sized soup pot with the olive oil and place it over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño and cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in the turmeric, rice and salt. Stir to be sure all of the grains of rice are coated with the other ingredients.
- Add the coconut water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover the pot, and cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes
Recipe NotesTaste a bit of the jalapeño before you use it -- some are hotter than others. You can use as much or as little as you'd like, depending on the amount of heat you like.
If fresh turmeric isn't available to you, you can replace it with 2 teaspoons of dry ground turmeric.